Friday, December 18, 2009

Redecorating (for my two moms!)

So. Let's start with the facts.

Fact one. We now have two little boys sleeping in one room. Here is a photo of the two little boys and their for-now-finalized sleeping arrangements:



Fact two. If I would have known we were going to have two little boys, I would have given them the bigger of our two other bedrooms. But I didn't know that when we moved in here. I certainly didn't know it when we were waiting for Isaac's arrival. And so the larger room is a guest room/library. I just can't change that now. Especially because JB painted this room for me as a surprise right before Isaac came home!

Fact three. We have tried setting up the nursery a number of ways. For awhile, we took the rocker out of the room and put it into our bedroom. However, we like to sit in there while they are playing. They like to read in there. I like to sit them on my lap to get socks and pants on. So, the rocker moved back into the room. This left nowhere for Elijah's pack-n-play bed. So we opted to push Elijah's bed into the corner of the crib (which you can't see in this picture) when it is not in use. And then, at night, I roll it into the middle of the room (where it is for this picture.) This is actually working really well. We just don't want to keep it in the corner next to the crib because they would be able to throw things back and forth to each other. (They already try this but right now the things they throw land in the gutter between them. This will work until their arms get better.)

As you can tell from the photo below, Elijah is very pleased with the current arrangements:


All right so with the congestion in the nursery, I took a look around at what could move out. And I realized that the lamp next to the rocker never gets used. In fact, it hasn't even been plugged in for many months.

So. Fact four. Fact four is that my mother and my mother-in-law have been nagging JB and me for years to get better lighting in our living room. They told us we needed lamps. We told them we had two little boys and didn't want lamps. I know nagging is a strong word, but in this case, it is accurate. They would admit it. They nagged.

And I, finally, gave in.

So, Mom and Mom K. This is for you!



The green lamp has been moved out of the nursery and into the living room. And, while I would love to tell my Mom and Mom-in -law, they were wrong, I actually love how it makes the room look. Much warmer. Great job you two! Thanks for nagging!

5 comments:

Grama Di said...

O yea!!! I don't like to think I was nagging. Your mother in law does that so much better than me
(love you Mary!!!) I love the new arrangement! Now I don't have to have the ceiling light shining in my eyes or get my tiny little book light while I read! I hope the boys handle it well!!! Thanx for letting me know nagging works....I will try it again .....soon!

Tara said...

Wendi, do you have a different mattress for your pack n' play? Just curious where you got it if you do. We had Kaia in the pack n' play up until about a month ago when someone gave us another crib. We hadn't bought a crib because I guess we were expecting Charlie to be in a bed once Kaia was ready for a crib. That isn't happening any time soon (until he understands a little more about a word we like to call "consequences"). But now we have no guest room and we have frequent overnight guests..We might need the pack n' play for the future, when we have guests, but I hate to put her in it b/c it's so uncomfortable. For the last 2 months or so that she was in it we had it "fortified" with blankets underneath the pad, but I never felt like that was completely safe (although I made sure to make it so that she could not get them wrapped around her). Anyway....just wondering.
The boys are so cute. :)

Grama Di said...

4 more sleeps!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara,

We bought some foam from Target and cut out a mattress size strip and put two of them in the bed. We put a sheet over it and then a warm, soft blanket for the winter and just tuck it all in. It's worked perfectly. I really think it is just as comfortable as the crib now!

denise said...

First - GREAT JOB on the transition to one room!!! YOU DID IT!!! Second - You could try moving out the changing table into the library to free up some spaace. Since you have to bring them into a place to change, you could do it in another room. We had to do that. Then after a while I started to pay attention to how often do I actually change them in there? I then moved out the changing table and stopped using it, and put the changing pad under my couch and pulled it out in the living room when I needed it. Just because I found myself changing in there on the floor on a blanket because it was more convenient. Just a thought!