Thursday, December 31, 2009

Leaves

Have I mentioned how much I hate getting "written up." The Base monitors your house to make sure you are following the rules. Don't follow them . . . get a little notice on your door telling you to get things fixed. If you don't get them fixed within three notices, you can get kicked off Base. I understand the reason for doing this. You want the Base to look nice and for people to take pride in what they are doing. But sometimes it can get annoying.

Tuesday we were written up for not raking our leaves. (We were also written up for Joanie's car not facing the right way on the curb and for two wheels not being off the grass but that's a whole 'nother story.) I think raking our leaves is ludicrous! After I rake we just have a ton of dirt underneath the leaves. At least having the leaves there makes it look like we have some sort of "grass." JB got into a whole discussion about how the leaves are good for the soil. He told me not to throw them away but to put them in a flower bed in the back. All righty.

Last year we were almost written up for not raking. It was a week after Elijah was born, and that man in the little car started to come up to our house with his notice, when my neighbor Aimee stormed over to stop him. She asked him if he saw the baby sign in our front yard. She told him how sick I had been. And then she said, "I'll rake their leaves tomorrow if you don't write them up." Needless to say, JB got out there before she could. But what an awesome neighbor!

Anyways, with JB working about 80-90 hours this week, I volunteered to take over the leaf ranking. It warmed up enough yesterday so that we could spend about an hour and a half outside while Elijah was taking his morning nap. Scrubs played Frisbee. Joanie took pictures. Isaac played. And I raked. Here are some fun photos of our time outside, and me raking the leaves. There's also a video at the end.

I couldn't find a little rake for Isaac in our stash -- so a bucket and shovel would have to do.






Filling up the bird feeder. This is also usually JB's chore. I am so proud of myself for taking over during his absence.



Isaac on his big-wheel from Papa and Grama Di. It's a bit too big for him but he loves to sit on it and push it around.

And here is the video:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you wrote this! I saw the pictures yesterday and almost left a comment telling you to watch out for the leaf police:)!! Way to go, Wen! And great pictures of Isaac and the leaves:)
grandma k
Better teach Isaac how to "park" his big wheel:) so he won't get written up!

The Mac's House said...

Feeling adventurous you can put the leaves in a trash can, put the weed eater in there to mulch them up. That's what we use to do when we lived in military housing in order to get the piles down and reuse them. Oh I remember those days well of the citations, although I think the Air Force bases are much stricter than the rest. I know that the Navy is real strict on moving out requirements. Can you believe in Maine we had to wipe the cabinets down with a specific spray to make them shine a certain way? My neighbors had to replace a door before they could move out scratch damage. Thought we would never make it thru the move out inspection. :)

Love the video, glad to see the little man doing so much better.

Kristin said...

It is not true that they will kick you out after 3 notices. I am not going to reveal how many times we have been written up, but more than 3! And I have never heard the parking the wrong way thing. We have been written up because only half of 2 of Travis's tires were on the street and not 2 whole tires! We have also been written up for not weeding the day after I weeded! And once we were written up, didn't fix it (Travis was TDY, I had a newborn), and not written up for anything the following week! Well that is 3 things so I am going to stop now. :) The point is not to stress too much over it! It sounds like yall have a ways to go to before yall have as many as we do! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Okay Kristin, you made me feel better. We were only written up 3 times in a row once, and it was the day after we mowed for not mowing!! John wrote in and nothing happened so I guess he was okay. But good, I won't stress as much. Yeah, you are supposed to park with the flow of traffic? Who knew!