Tuesday, December 01, 2009

A forward I'm forwarding

I usually don't forward forwards. Either does my cousin Cara. But she thought one particular email was important to forward on. So she forwarded it to me. I agree with Cara. It's one forward worth forwarding. But instead of forwarding it on via email to my small list of recipients, I've decided to forward it on via my blog which can reach many more recipients.

Please note that this is not a political statement in anyway. As those of you who read my blog know, I refrain from discussing political matters on my blog in any form. While I did not vote for President Obama, I pray for him and support him. He is our President. He is my husband's Commander in Chief. He deserves our respect.

This has nothing to do with who our President is or who is running for office.

The email I received detailed a remarkable expression of collective Christian conscience and commitment. What makes it so inclusive is that it was instituted by Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant clergy, academics and organizational leaders. By Republicans and Democrats. I am including portions of that email with my own words below.

The expression I am talking about is called the Manhattan Declaration, and it's intended to make clear a significant point: As Christian Americans who believe each person's life is a gift of infinite worth, we have an urgent, ongoing responsibility to continue standing for biblical principles in the public square.

Although many American Christians understandably feel under assault, the degree of faith-based domestic persecution cannot compare with the ghastly violence perpetuated against believers in other parts of the world. In the Sudan, for instance, hundreds of thousands of Christians have been slaughtered not because of what they're doing, but because of the One in whom they believe. It is a wise people who act to protect the freedoms they enjoy.

So what can we do? Well, you can start by reading the document, in its entirety, by clicking here. Confirm that it is something you believe in it. Some of you may not believe with all aspects of it. That is completely your choice, and I respect our differences, even if I think you are wrong. :)

Note that the Manhattan Declaration is an excellent example of achieving the balance of truth and grace required of us as followers of Jesus. This is a document that exhorts us to champion Christian truths in a Christian manner. It stands for something.

Then, after you've read the declaration, consider adding your name to the list of signers --and urge your friends and family to do the same. We are all imperfect. But if we honor God by promoting biblical principles, resisting our sometimes insatiable and admittedly prideful motivations, He will honor us.

If you believe in this document, please consider adding your name and then posting this information on your blog.

I am disabling the comments on this entry. I am not looking to start a debate in any form. I am simply encouraging those of you who do align with my thinking to sign your name and to encourage others to do the same.