Monday, December 03, 2007

I hate getting pulled over!

JB was on call last night, and I decided to bring him dinner. Unlike Mayo where you can get food anytime of day, this tiny hospital doesn't have anything available for those late night workers on the weekends. (Tara, don't call the hospital cute. This hurts JB's feelings. :)

Traditional Wendi-dinner means I don't cook. I decided to go to Burger King on base. For some reason, the Burger King on base closes early on Sundays. 7pm and shut up tight.

So I headed off base. I called JB and asked him what he wanted instead. Then I waited for him to check with the other gal I was going to pick up dinner for -- the junior he was working with.

When I passed the Sonic and still hadn't gotten a call back, I decided to pull into the gas station and wait for him to call me. Where else was I supposed to go? So I pulled into a spot and waited. I noticed a cop there, but he left the parking lot right after I got there.

A few moments later, I realized there was a Burger King right next door! I could just do that one since I already had the order for Burger King. So I left my spot and headed to Burger King only to see lights flashing behind me.

Don't you hate that feeling? My stomach just sunk. Since I had just pulled out, I knew I wasn't speeding. What I did know was that I had sat in a parking lot and that we had expired tags.

Why do we have expired tags? Because we can't find our title! We have been trying to find it to no avail. We tracked down the right place in Minnesota to request one, only to find out that we never had our tag in Kentucky transferred to Minnesota. So we had to track down the correct place in Kentucky. They needed us to prove that we didn't owe taxes on the car for the last four years! So I had to dig out proof we had moved to Minnesota. They also needed us to get the police department to verify the readings on our odometer. Both those things are done, and we have the paperwork to send! We just don't have a new title yet to get new tags.

Anyways, the cop comes out and asks for my license. I give it to him, and he asks why I cut through a parking lot, waited for him to leave, and then left myself. I explained to him about my search for dinner for my husband, and surprisingly, he bought it. But then he told me my tags were expired. Sigh . . . yes, I knew that. (Ironically, JB got a speeding ticket a month ago with no mention of his tags!)

I explained to him why we don't have new tags (a shorter version than the one above), and he actually believes me on that too. Not that I was lying but both stories could be seen as contrived. He tells me to get a temporary tag (I didn't know you could do that) or not drive the car. Okay. Will do. JB went this morning. They wouldn't give it to him. Said he needed some other paperwork we need to track down. I'll try to go back tomorrow.

All that for a burger! Geesh!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don'tcha love FL cops! :) Be thankful you're up there, they wouldn't belive it down here!

TAV said...

you trouble-maker! just blame it all on jb :)

yuan family said...

Way to handle it Wendi...I probably would have got defensive and they wouldn't have believed me!

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of a funny story -one furlough after 4 years in Indonesia there was a beautiful snow -Ed took the kids out driving in it -noone on the road, doing "donuts" to have fun with the kids, slipping and sliding with the car -a policeman pulled Ed over and as Ed opened the window Eddie said, "Dad which of your drivers' liscences are you going to give him?" :0
jan

Anonymous said...

another funny story...Wendi running a red light in Rochester...and getting pulled over.

Anonymous said...

Didn't she get out of that one too?

Deanna said...

The last time I was pulled over I told the cop I was headed to the gym to teach an aerobics class (true). He then asked me how to get rid of his LOVE HANDLES! It's hard to tell a cop holding a ticket book that the only way to get rid of the love handles is to lose body fat! I tried to put it delicately and voila', no ticket!

Anonymous said...

Next time, pack him a lunch!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Ebby, what are you talking about?! Getting pulled over for running a red light.

I THINK NOT!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes you were!!!! I was in the car with you. 2nd Ave and Highway 52. John and Ronnie were in Florida moving into your new home. You were staying at our house for a couple of days. I remember it clearly. You may have only gotten a warning, but you were definately pulled over!