Thursday, December 20, 2007

CONGRATS Bara!

Loyal blog readers probably already know who Bara is. However, if you are not sure, here is a link to a GUEST POST he wrote awhile ago that explained how we got to be friends.

Anyways, I won't go into a whole explanation again, but I will say that Bara has spent the last few years in Boston working at Harvard with pigs on some research project. He has explained what he does, but quite honestly, I still don't know. I just know it is about science and pigs.

In the meantime, he has been trying to get into a residency program in the U.S. so that he can stay here and continue to improve his medicine skills. He had not been very hopeful as it is extremely difficult for foreigners to obtain residency spots in the U.S.

Well we got word that Bara will at least get to stay another year as he does some preliminary residency work. I'm not exactly sure what this means -- fellow doctors reading this blog, can you explain since my husband is really busy and I haven't gotten to ask him and he can't access my blog from the hospital?

Anyways, we got this email from Bara yesterday:

Hey Guys,

I want to share with you great news that happened yesterday. as you both know, I was doing research for my main aim: getting into surgery residency!

Match has been tough but with the help and support of my current PI, I was offered a spot @ Harvard for the next year. The spot I got is a prelim year in surgery (not categorical, John: you do the explanation for Wendi if she doesn't know this).

Even though, it's only a prelim, but I am still so happy as it will give me a good push toward a full training later on in a good program.

Thanks JB and Wendi,

Bara

A huge congrats to Bara! We hope he will come visit us in Florida soon!!! Oh and the picture above was from when Bara came to visit us in Minnesota and JB cooked as close to a traditional Syrian meal as he could. Tara was there too. I'm sure she loves that picture. (Okay, I edited Tara by special request. She owes me one.)

5 comments:

TAV said...

yeah; i'm looking just stellar in that picture... do you WANT me to be an old maid?? :) j/k. anyway, sounds like bara will have a one-year position (much like people in anesthesia and radiology do-- can do prelim surg years but have to be matched to another program for their 'residency') but he may get to continue on for the full 5 years. congrats, bara!

Anonymous said...

thanks Wendi and Tara and everyone for your awesome support. you guys are great!

Anonymous said...

It was so good to "see" Bara!
i hope we're near Florida when he visits you and we are so happy for him and will keep him in our prayers for that full 5 years!
Tara -what ever do you mean -you look beautiful -i love your smile!!
Okay now i'm really dying to have a taste of that Syrian food or at least a recipe!
Wen, my kids and their two kids arrive today from No Carolina and guess what we have signed on the house and an inspector comes Saturday -Oom Ed is out (2 am here) going to look at the house to make sure of everything in the area at 2 am (he's driven by it about every other time of the day/nite too!) as these last 5 days are the last to have a chance for cold feet. BOth of us were totally panic stricken last nite at the decision -but I told him, if we don't do this the feelings are worse to keep renting forever, we have to believe that :)
Tante Jan

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Awesome news about the house Tante Jan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I switched the pictures -- the first one wasn't as nice ... lol.

TAV said...

yes, Tante Jan. you should have seen the first one. UGH! thanks, though :)