Friday, October 27, 2006

A good report

I treasure every good report and good experience I have in Charlton 3A.

Charlton 3A and I have gotten to know each other extremely well since I first entered its waiting room back in 2003.

Back in 2003, things in Charlton 3A were a lot different. For one thing, we shared a waiting room with the obstetrics patients. Let me repeat that. Someone, somewhere, thought that it would be a good idea if infertility patients shared a waiting room with women "on the other side".

It was horrible. Women wrote letters, voiced complaints, pitched fits. Not only were we sharing a waiting room, but we waited next to the children's play area. Go figure!

So in 2004, someone at Mayo agreed that this was idiotic. They decided to build a new waiting room. But for the next year, while the waiting room was being constructed, they squished us all into a waiting room half the size. One day I sat next to a 16-year-old, obviously not happy she was there, a woman having a fight with her boyfriend, and a family of five. It's the closest I have ever come to hyperventilating. I grabbed a magazine. Parents. Hmmmm....

Anyways, today, that is no longer the case. Charlton 3A now has its own private waiting room complete with water fall and no children on magazines, no kids running around next to you, and no pregnant bellies.

Okay, I got sidetracked. Sorry. Back to what I meant to write about. My experience today on Charlton 3A.

It went great! My ovaries are completely suppressed. I have to check at 3:00 and make sure my blood work echoes these results, but all looks well.

In addition, the mock transfer and cervical dilation went really well (as well as something with the word "dilation" and "cervix" in the same sentence can go). Dr. G., whom I wasn't very fond of originally, was great. I realized that our first meeting, in the operating room, with me yelling and him sweating, was not the best way to judge a relationship. He came in and explained that he was hoping today would help the transfer go much smoother this time. "I have you etched in my memory," he said. "And I have a plan for how to combat the obstacles we faced before." Aaaah. The transfer and dilation wasn't nice, but it was okay, and this dress rehersal will hopefully make opening night go great.

Afterwards, Roxanne, an ultrasound tech that has been with me since the beginning, said I deserved to do something nice for myself after this. I said I would like some chocolate. She surprised me and brought me a cupcake!!! Bravo Roxanne.

So, most likely, I will start my meds this evening for IVF harvest #2. We are actually looking at a harvest sometime around election day. So as the news people count down to election day (and the end of those horrid political ads!), I am also counting down to our IVF. I am also blessed to have my "free meds" from my friend! Even better.

I feel great. I feel relaxed and peaceful. I am having a little trouble sleeping, but otherwise, all is wonderful. I'll return for my next acupuncture treatment on Tuesday, and a week from then, we'll get this party started.

We also signed off a new number of eggs to fertilize. Dr. G. signed off with us as Dr. C. is out of town. He said he understood our concern. He understood trying to look at the front end while carefully contemplating the tail end. Exactly.

Keep the prayers coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers Wen and John! You guys are FABULOUS!! I am very proud (not that is about me!!!) mom

Anonymous said...

Love you dears.
hugs, prayers, thoughts are with you continually...
Salam manis,
Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

Great news for you! I will pray for you lots this cycle. :)
Also, about the waiting room issue: Though I have never had to look at a pg belly while waiting for an appt with my RE (my consolations to you), I am still in utter shock when a patient decides to bring her child with her to an appt there. Someone should post a sign or something! Today I was even fantasizing about having a "Child Room" where they offered babysitting while the mom patient is in the appt/waiting room. Impractical I know, but I had to do something with my mind to keep me from shooting dirty looks at this woman with an adorable kid.

Joanna

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh Joanna, I agree completely. Another thing is that each time I have even attempted a conversation with someone in the waiting room (especially when we see each other every day with IVF) I find out that they:

A. Have 5 kids and remarried and husband had already had a vasectomy.

B. Have 2 kids and just want 1 more kid. That's it.

LOL -- both times I just sat and nodded. Not sure what to say in response. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to He will Carry me tonite before bed...thanks for that good song....
am asking Him as I go to sleep to carry you two.
"The Eternal God is our refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms" --Deuteronomy
It sounds like you are resting there from your blog.....
love jan