Saturday, October 06, 2012

Give up the Guilt Gals!

Yesterday my husband said to me: "Sometimes I wonder if the thing mothers do the most all day is feel guilt."

Hmmm ... touché big John. Touché. Way to make a tired mom have to think. How much of my day do I simply feel guilty about all the things I am not doing, want to do, or think I should be doing because that other mother can bake and keep her house clean way better than me?

And how do I stop feeling that guilt?

Did I read enough books to them today? Did we play enough together? Why did I lose my cool over that ripped book? Was I on the computer too much? Did they eat a healthy enough breakfast? Did they eat a decent lunch? Snack? Wait. Did they even eat lunch? And how dare I give them M&M's to help make the grocery store a more pleasant experience. I shouldn't have skipped a bath. Bedtime should have been earlier. We should have done a craft today. A movie! Really, Wendi, they could have been reading during that time.

And the guilt goes on.

I spoke with another mother at MOPswho shared her "shame" of having a babysitter come in a few days a week so she could get a few things accomplished. "And then when she comes," she explained. "I feel like I should get something big done instead of just taking a nap."

We both said that we know other mothers who do it better. They have more kids. And they don't ever use a babysitter. They clean their own house and homeschool all of their kids.

Why can't we just let a babysitter come in while we take a nap? What is wrong with that? Why does she feel that way? (And why do I know that I would feel the exact same way?)

Why have I had numerous friends admit to me, over a sideways glance and a finger to the lips, "Well, I have a housekeeper. But don't tell anyone."

I have had numerous friends tell me, in no uncertain terms, that they would not, could never, be a stay-at-home mom. They acknowledge that I am doing something that they just don't have the energy to do. I remember my friend Nicole, when she visited me here in the Azores, telling me, "So how do you do it? Really? Are you heavily caffeinated ... constantly?"

Smile.

But seriously. She was giving me permission to acknowledge that what I am doing is not easy.

And yet the guilt goes on. Every day. In all ways. To do better. To do more. To be quicker. Efficienter. Nicer. Pray more. Hug more. Play more. Eat less. Yell less. Jog more.

Instead, I must, and we must all, remind ourself of what we are doing. We are doing the best we can. I am raising these little people to be men and women of the Lord. I am instilling values and praying for them and hugging them and kissing them and feeding them and bathing them and teaching them as best I can every day.

May we all, today, let go, just a little, of the feelings of inadequacy. May we all, today, let go, just a little, of the comparisons we make to the next person. The next family. The next home. So what if she is able to keep her house clean and you need a bit of help. So what if homeschooling your tyke was a disaster despite your best intentions. So what if you ate fast food two nights last week because you just couldn't bring yourself to cooking another meal. So what?

Give your kids a hug. And give yourself permission to lean on other people.

Especially the big man upstairs.



8 comments:

Carrie said...

I've been working on my own guilt for awhile now and I think I'm doing a good job at letting it go. Hiring my friend to come in once a week to vacuum/mop has been such a blessing. My husband's not too excited about it, but I know that he just doesn't truly understand what it's like to be home with two little ones 24/7.

I don't believe that the "mommy wars" actually exist... I think it's just us projecting our own insecurities and guilt into what we THINK others mean when they say things. It's all us and like you said, we need to learn to let go of it and just accept that as long as our children are mostly clean (grin) and have full tummies at bedtime, then they are happy and content and you are doing a great job.

Marie said...

Wonderful post, Wendi! Don't forget your blog is quite an accomplishment as well. Thanks your for the perspective!

Kate said...

Thank you! Loved this post! P.S. I have a housekeeper and it is no secret! ;)

Beth said...

Well said, Wendi. Mommy guilt is a tough battle to fight. Thanks for being transparent.

Jenn Price said...

PERFECT post!! Very well said and so applicable to all moms lives. I feel like a horrible homeschooling mom when I look at all the wonderful subjects, experiments, trips, movies, games, etc, etc that I see other homeschool moms use. It happens every year..... so I do my best to acknowledge that is what works for them but for us it is a bit different! Thanks for the post!

animalcrackerkat said...

Thanks for this! I think John may be right. I know I fight the guilt battle daily.

I find myself feeling guilty that Alex doesn't get the same attention that Joshua did. I remember what it was like to only have one little boy to focus on and wonder if they'll all turn out ok now that they have to compete with each other for my time.

Well, I guess when it comes down to it, I'll just have to try my best to make sure each of them knows just how special they are and how much I love them.

Our church back in Las Vegas used to tell people that it was a place where "it's ok, to not be ok." So many people feel like they need to have it all together before they can belong.

Lets keep this message going. Over and over again. Until all the moms really hear it. It's ok to not be ok. :)

Unknown said...

So good to read this on a Monday morning when I am feeling guilt from the weekend over whether I played with my kids enough. The more I talk to mothers, the more I find out I'm normal. But I don't want to be normal...I want to stop feeling so much guilt. Your husband is right. I think that's all we mothers do all day most days. How do we stop?????

Katie said...

Thank you for this, Wendi! It was awesome and totally appreciated. I can echo almost everyone of the questions and doubt and guilt you mentioned. Thanks for keeping it real and for your honesty and encouragement! (and I have a housekeeper, too!) :) Excited for you and the newest 'adventures' coming up in your lives. Hugs, Katie