Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summing it up

We are leaving very soon.

A few updates.

JB drove to Cape Canaveral with his Dad on Tuesday. It was a six hour drive round trip but since the Base is near Orlando, they had the opportunity to meet his sister Katie, brother-in-law Eddie, and brother Rob for lunch at a dog friendly cafe for lunch. JB also got to just spend some time talking to his Dad on the drive back and forth. His Dad works a lot so taking an entire day off work was a big deal for him and for JB. They had a wonderful time hanging out and listening to Scrubs whine in the van for half the trip.

Other than some van whining, Scrubs did fantastic. (We aren't sure why he whines in the van. We can't figure out if he is excited, scared, nervous, or mad, but it usually lets up after a portion of time.)

He was quite popular with the vet. I forget what a beautiful dog Scrubby is until other people see him and comment on him. They also comment on how big he is. He is three inches taller than the Dalmatian "standard" so yes, he's a big boy. And, as the vet said, all muscle.

Scrubs did fantastic during our time here in South Florida. He loved playing Frisbee at the baseball and soccer fields across the street from my parents' house and was off-leash like a pro. I even added a few training items to his repertoire, and he has picked them up quite well. I have worked on "around" (so that he sits next to me instead of in front of me) and "crawl" both of which he is getting quite well. In addition, cousin Gracie learned how to boss Scrubs around as well. While giving a dog commands is half the battle, you also have to give the command correctly in order for them to follow orders. Gracie figured it out and had him sitting, fiving, laying, rolling, and moving back to a sit like a pro.

Yesterday we had brunch at the Kits' house. Mom made Paula Dean's french toast. It was awesome! Yum, yum, yum!

I decided to watch my boys and Grace and Nate yesterday while the Kit. family went to see Inception. I was just too emotionally drained to watch a movie that made me think. So I passed and opted to babysit instead. I took all four kiddos and Scrubs' to the baseball field. We all ran around and played chase, and each of them took turns throwing the Frisbee like, four inches, for Scrubs to go and get it. (Scrubs kept looking at me like: Could you please just throw it? These kids don't get the idea that I want to run and get it.). We watched some of Toy Story II, and then Bree stopped by to say a final good bye. She brought a special "prize" for Isaac and Elijah: a big Sheriff and Lightning from the movie Cars. Saying good bye to Bree was stinky.

The boys spent the rest of the evening playing with Papa and parking Sheriff and Lightning in the garage (stepping stools set up on the couch). My Dad made dinner and my Mom took the boys to the park so we could get some packing done uninterrupted.

We will spend quite a few days making the drive to Baltimore. We'll also be stopping to say hello and good bye to some great friends who, we are lucky enough, to pass by on our way out of the country.

I will post some from the road I am sure and keep you updated on our adventures. Please pray for safety and strength. While saying good bye is cruddy, we really are excited for this new adventure and to experience this together as a family. What an opportunity to see the world!

No comments: