Sunday, July 11, 2010

Aint' so cool to be Dutch

A quick preface here. I cannot STAND Austin Powers. Please don't paste a comment telling me how utterly unfunny I am if I don't like Austin Powers. I don't like Napoleon Dynamite either.

You won't convince me otherwise.

(Just like you can't possibly convince me that this kind of wine doesn't taste like wine. They all do. That's why they are called wine. And I just don't like wine.)

That being said, we watched the last hour of the World Cup today. We were cheering for Netherlands because, well, we're Dutch, and it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Joni wore her orange shirt in support of the Dutch two days in a row last week, because, well, she's Dutch, and it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, the Dutch came up on the losing side of the match.

So I guess it's cooler to be Spanish today than it is Dutch.

And, while I can't stand Austin Powers, this quote from the movie (that I didn't know about until my brother-in-law Rob introduced me to it, because, well, I really can't stand Austin Powers), echoes the idea that it isn't always cool to be Dutch:

"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

4 comments:

Thelma said...

It is always cooler to be Dutch. World Cup epic fail or not. :)

Anonymous said...

Thelma, you took the words right out of my mouth. LOL. :D

Bethany

Joy Z said...

I can't stand Austin Powers either, but love Napoleon Dynamite. You just can't group those two together! LOL

OK, do you like Nacho Libre?

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I am w/Joy. I LOATHE Austin Powers. I was a SNL Junkie when Mike Myers was on there...so AP was VERY diappointing for me. I LOVE ND...so quaotable. Ryan loves NL. I don't think the 3 of them can be grouped together. NL has moments I enjoy but it is not ND. Jus sayin'! :) MISS YOU