Sunday, July 04, 2010

The good, the bad, and the missing

First the bad news. I've been a good deal under-the-weather the last few days. Thinking I got so exhausted that I came down with some sort of head cold.

Now the good news. There is a baseball field across the street from my parents that I can take Scrubs to pray Frisbee at. We went yesterday and I whipped his butt in mere minutes.

Back to bad news. Isaac can definitely, without a doubt get out of his pack-n-play whenever he desires. Last night my Dad went up the stairs and then called down and asked JB and myself if we had put Isaac to bed already. When we answered in the affirmative he said, "Oh. Well, he's walking around up here now." Oh. Is he now? Yikers.

Good news? It's been raining so much that while incredibly humid, it has not been nearly as warm as South Florida usually is in the summertime.

All right, I'm delaying what I really mean to write. What my heart really wants to say.

Here's the bad news that I was putting off.

I am realizing that I am never going to live on Eglin AFB again. With all the craziness surrounding our departure, it sort of felt like, when driving away, we were leaving on a long trip. However, I've now realized that we no longer live there. That is no longer our home. I know I will get over this. I did it when I left South Florida as a teenager. I did it again when we left Kentucky in our mid twenties. And again leaving Minnesota as we neared our thirties.

It isn't the place that I grieve you see, but the people that come along with the place. Right now I am grieving most the friends I am leaving behind on the Base. You know who you are. And then I am grieving the women who moved away at the same time as me. Those gals too. All of them. We texted each other with updates as we all pulled out of our homes around the same time. In one month, we will all be at a different Base, our husbands in new roles. Joia's husband Philip has already transitioned to his new role as a member of staff at Eglin AFB. But each one of our husbands will follow suit very shortly.

Anyways, I am sad about that. I will miss everyone so much. I don't live there anymore.

And I'll miss it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss it as well Wendi!! It is easy to get caught up in the craziness of the pack out and leaving and only realizing after a couple days what it is that you have left behind. So glad you guys made it safely and we made it safely to CO. We will keep texting and staying in touch. Have a great visit with your families and I will talk to you soon!

Andrea

Joia said...

I think the worst is actually still to come for me on this note... because to me it still feels like you're just on a trip. =0/

Jess said...

Aww, I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Hate that...
love you...
...isn't it great how little kids can move from being upset to being excited about something like a gate on the steps in Turbey...
i can't do that as easily in moves...
...some seasons of life i've found harder to make the final leave----last place we lived in Indonesia was longest place we ever lived -about 5 years...i still long for it...doesn't mean i'm not happy every day...just get those longings for "home"...it's been 4 plus years here now in US and i'm just beginning to feel at home and like i can do this....probably having the grands here and knowing we can travel finally helped it click for me -i'll be praying for you as you go and as you leave...hugs Tante Jan