Sunday, October 25, 2009

A lost dog and other fun adventures

Today, I lost Scrubs. Seriously. Couldn't find him.

It was during dinner time. JB is on call today so I was on my own. I turned to see where Scrubby was, and I couldn't find him. All the doors in the hallway were closed. Where could he be? Looked in the laundry room, on his couch, even under the dining room table. Did I let him outside and forget? Went outside. No Scrubby. Maybe he snuck past me when I put the garbage out? I finally started calling him and heard his cry. Went to the nursery and opened the door and a very relieved dog came busting out only to stop and look and me as if to say: Do you know how long I was in there for? How could you have forgotten about me? Yikes!

It is true that Scrubs often follows me into a room. I always not-so-patiently wait for him to exit before I walk out and shut the door to keep kiddos from entering unaware. But I must have forgotten. I have no idea when I forgot. What I do know is I completely lost my dog. Completely forgot about him. Scrubs' face said it all. Once upon a time it was just me and you. You would have never forgotten about me. Good thing these kiddos feed me or I might just revolt altogether.

Sorry Bubby.

Other than the aforementioned oversight, today has been a good day despite JB being on call. Sunday calls are WAYYYYYY better than Saturday calls. Now that JB is a third year, call days are much less frequent and more frequently on Sunday. A Saturday call gives you NO weekend. But a Sunday call gives you all day Saturday off, work on Sunday, and no work on Monday. If he gets sleep tonight, he'll have a free day of the week home with us tomorrow. We'll see how the evening goes. When I last talked to him, it was still slow, but that can change at any moment. No one go to the ER tonight okay folks?!

Our morning went really well. We decided to do morning baths since yesterday was too busy to squeeze them in. Right around 11:00am, we had our "snack time." Lo and behold today we graduated from one banana split between the two boys to two bananas split between them. Isaac decided he is big enough to take a bite right off the banana and Elijah is eating some bigger pieces now so before I knew it, I was getting a second one out. Just thinking about our grocery bill as the years go on causes some cold sweats. I didn't even take any bites this time!

After snack time, I put the boys down for a nap. Scrubs knows that when both babes go down, we go play Frisbee in the front yard. So we did. I also try to pull a few weeds in the flowerbed while we are out there and give him a good brushing to help lessen the shedding in the house. After that, both he and I collapsed. I usually hope for just one hour of quiet time each day but two hours later, I woke up to find both monitors still quietly humming away. So I got up and went and cleaned the kitchen -- even had a chance to mop the floor. It was 2:00 before both babes decided to wake up. Wow! What a fantastic break! I was refreshed and ready to face the rest of the day. That quiet time really helps me get ready for the second part of the day.

We had a late lunch and then decided to take a jog up to the hospital to visit JB. It was a gorgeous day -- a perfect temperature for a jog with the gang. While loading up the stroller, I put Scrubs' collar and leash on but then remembered I had to do a few more things. Get a water bottle. Snack for Isaac. Pump up a slow leak in one of the tires. That sorta thing.

A few minutes later, while loading Elijah up, I noticed Isaac had grabbed the leash and was walking Scrubs all over the house. I swear I saw Scrubs roll his eyes when they passed me and headed down the hallway only to turn around, circle into the kitchen and do it all again. What a good dog.

It was 1.7 miles up to the hospital. I paged JB when we got there, and he met us outside. It was a pretty slow day for him so we were able to spend about 45 minutes hanging out in the little courtyard while Isaac played and Elijah moved from JB to me and back again. (That kid is too heavy for any one person to hold for an extended period.) After that, we packed everyone up and jogged the 1.7 miles back home. Way fun. Just another reason I love living so close to the hospital.

After the run it was home for another nap for Elijah and then some playtime, dinner, and bed. (It was during that period that I lost Scrubs. So sorry buddy.) During the evening playtime, I managed to get out the camera and snap some fun fotos of my little men. Enjoy!



Playing in the little "fort" under the TV. Each morning I move the toy box out so that they can play with their toys here.

Isaac "discovering" for the 76th time today that Elijah has a crocodile on his onesie.


I've been throwing the pillows in a corner of the living room each morning as the boys love to crawl on them. Good brotherly bonding time until one of them decides to jump on top of the other.

Elijah loves to dive face-first onto a soft pillow or stuffed animal of any sort and slobber all over it. A good warning if you want to use a pillow at our house.


Here is Isaac's version of the same activity. I have no idea why he decided to do this or how I caught it on camera.

Here is Isaac showing me his tongue. He looks SO MUCH like Bri in this picture when she was little!

We have a rule in our house. Food that you do not want should not be thrown onto the floor. It should be put in the little "circle" on your tray. (Scrubs thinks this is a lowsy rule. But trust me, he gets enough food through accidental spillage to keep him satisfied.) Isaac has caught on and quickly sorts through his food to determine what is not up to his standards.

When will I learn? Not twelve seconds after I had put away the puzzles, Elijah moved in to destroy them again. First of all, why do I have puzzles? Secondly why do I try to put them away before the boys go to bed?

1 comment:

The Mac's House said...

Reminds me of when we had our kitty Oreo. When everyone was heading out the door in the morning she would always be under foot, so much so, that there were times that she would go "missing" as well. Only for me to frantically search the house upon my return from the school run to hear this faint meow and a little paw sticking out from under the hallway closet door. It was as if she was trying to say, HERE I AM! OVER HERE! IN HERE! It was hysterical but I was so paniced at the time as I searched what I thought to be was EVERYWHERE...... After that it happened I would always look there first just in case. Silly kitty!