Sunday, October 11, 2009

Only in South Florida


A Latte Fun. Cool place. For kids ages 0-6. Lots of things to play with. If your child is older than 2, you can sit on the other side of a window and have coffee while they play. Really cool idea. Gabbi and I met there the other day for a cool break with the kids. They all loved it. Incredibly great business idea even if it is a little pricey. Especially on very hot days (or very cold days if you lived up north.)

But A Latte Fun is only the start of my story. My story actually goes with the picture above. I admit, readily, that I am not the best parker of my mini-van. I'm used to parking my tiny Saturn and am still getting used to the bigger vehicle.
But when you park in between two other cars, I don't think your parking can be that bad. Can it? I parked in between two other vehicles that were already there. I had to fit in between them. So I had to at least park semi-decently.

However, someone obviously thought my parking was bad enough outside of A Latte Fun, to leave a note on my window which read: Nice Parking.

I'm serious. They really did.

But get this. The story gets better.

They wrote it in crayon. This means that some MOM lugging her kid/s into the cafe, thought it was worth her time to scribble in crayon that I parked badly. I am not sure what she was talking about. My parking did not look bad to me. I can't figure out what she meant. Maybe a car before me was across a line which meant I was across a line? I don't know. I didn't notice the note until I was at a stoplight.

But okay, she thought I did so badly, that she had to take the time to get out a crayon and anonymously tell me so?
Sigh . . .

I know I grew up here. I still consider South Florida my hometown. And I don't want to offend all the people I love who live here.

But I, just cannot, live here, ever again.

It's congested. The traffic is bad. The crime is bad. The weather is bad. And people just are not nice. I have never, ever, in my life, gotten a note left from someone on my car telling me I was a bad parker. My brother-in-law Matt said he knows people who have little cards printed up telling people they are bad parkers that they can leave on windows. Who has the time for this?! Is it really that big of a deal?!

My Mom said that if they would have saw me trying to unload my two little men from the vehicle and get into the play place, they might have had a bit more mercy on me.

Sad thing is, I doubt it.

I love our families. And so we'll come back to visit. But I just can't call this home anymore. I have to live where people are nicer.
Even if I am a bad parker.

12 comments:

ErieContrary said...

haha. Oh my word. You have to laugh at stories like this because if you really think about it...it's just SAD. I agree with you - who has the time for these things??!

Anonymous said...

I love South Florida! It's been 'very very good to us!'
Consider that it is a place to get your rough edges smoothed out!
Go easy on us Wen! It's helped to make you the wonderful person you are today. mom

Joy Z said...

I got a note once too, but it was halfway deserved. I say halfway because I was indeed parked in two spots, but if they had seen the circumstances...well they should have had mercy. I was pregnant, by myself and my car dies in the middle of the parking lot at our apartment building. I pushed the car into a spot...or two...and the next morning when Vic got home (he was working overnights at the time) we found the note. They apparently thought it was a guy trying to be a jerk because the note said: "Dude, you're an a---, nice parking job"

Kelli said...

I have enjoyed my almost 20 years in South Florida...but that doesn't mean that as soon as we can sell our house and get jobs in NC or TN I won't be outta here in a heartbeat! Hopefully that will be soon!!! :)

Joia said...

WOW! That is insane! =0/

Anonymous said...

I noticed over the years that not only are the big SUVs making parking spaces seems smaller even for us that have mini-vans, but that So FL parking spaces have seemed to get smaller too...like they are trying to cram a few more spaces in a lot...UGH.
And I totally don't blame you for not wanting to move back!
~Holly

Gabbs said...

Wen- I saw you parked in that spot and I almost parked next to you and I don't remember thinking you parked bad at all. The only reason I didn't park next to you is because that end spot looked like I might get backed into by the first car in the sideways facing spots!

Oh well. I dislike S. FL, too and am hoping one day to break free......

Carrie said...

Yeah, I just ignore people like that. I think people that do that are trying to make themselves feel better by taking out their frustrations on others... even though they don't know the whole story.

Whenever I see someone who has parked badly, I just brush it off and figure that they did the best they could because the person who parked in the spot before them probably did a bad job, too. Domino effect.

I liked Joy Z's story though. See? You never know WHY the person parked badly. MOST of the time, it's not because they are trying to be an a**, though if that is the reason then they really do have issues!

Anonymous said...

Um, there are rude people everywhere. I am sure I irritate people on a weekly basis by things I do because of my children's safety being more important than others' convenience. The crayon message is a bit over the top. Can you just picture the person's kids saying, "Can we go in?" and the person saying, "No, I have to make someone else feel bad with my crayon note first!"

susie raskin said...

I hear ya, Wen, I will NEVER live in Ft. Lauderdale again... ugh.

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOL that is tooooo funny! I am pretty obsessed with being straight in the spot. I am pretty good at whippin' my big SUV in pretty much any place. My children really dislike the extra time I take to back out and straighten up. Ever since seeing BEDTIME STORIES my son simply wants me to take up 2 spaces for our ONE car. He often reminds me "CUSHION, Mama!" But I am WAY too OCD to take up 2 spots...hello, Rude! :) Thanks for the laugh Wendi!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

BTW- some mom had way too much time on her hands to leave a note in crayon!!!! :)