Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lots of changes

On Friday, I completed my last "official" day as an editorial assistant at Mayo Clinic. I will still be on payroll for the next 60 days as I help them transition into a new assistant so the "ending" does not feel quite as "final" as I thought it would, however, I am no longer tied to my computer during the day. My work at the RLS Foundation has always been very flexible. I can do it in the evenings, weekends, or late at night. But due to the nature of my work at Mayo, I have had to stay close to my phone and email. As of yesterday, that requirement has expired.

It's funny. For as long as I can remember, all I have ever wanted to be was a mom. That's it. No career aspirations for this chick. Back in 2003, when we started trying for a family, we had enough money saved to "survive" through medical school -- to cover the difference when I stopped working and started being a mom. When I didn't get pregnant, that money was used instead for all our infertility treatments, and in exchange, I kept working, instead of staying home. Whenever I get down about how much money we spent on infertility treatments with "nothing to show for it," I remind myself that I worked an extra five years. Five years that we thought I wouldn't be working at all.

While I have been a "stay-at-home" since moving to Eglin in June of 2007, I definitely didn't enjoy the luxuries of not working. I worked at least 40 hours a week, and sometimes closer to 50. That doesn't leave much time for laundry and scrapbooking now does it? Now, I am down to just one job, and I can start enjoying the role of "wife" and "mom" like I have always wanted to. I also not have to sit in front of a computer for such long periods of time or jump and back and forth on my timecard from job to job.

I have decided to keep working at the RLS Foundation due to the flexibility that this job offers me. I can totally organize my day around our new son. I will have some conference calls that are "scheduled" but otherwise, I can really do the work as it suits me and our family. In addition, we still need to pay for our China adoption so my income goes straight into the "adoption saving account" just for this!

Speaking of the RLS Foundation . . . since it is now my only job, I thought I would show you a quick snippet of what I do for them everyday.

This is the cover to our latest issue of NightWalkers, the quarterly publication that I am the editor for. This 20-30 page publication makes up a big part of my job. This was a special anniversary issue which was two times as large as our normal publication.


Not only am I writing articles for NightWalkers, but I am working with other individuals who are writing pieces, answering patient questions, or submitting photos. JB is actually a writer for the Foundation. He does the "In the News" section which features a breakdown of scientific research for the layperson.

I do other things for them though too. I am in charge of the website, PowerPoint, and healthcare provider membership. I also do a lot of work with the media and all kinds of other editing and writing for brochures and fundraising appeals. It's work that fits me perfectly, and I really enjoy it.

As of Friday, my work week is now only 20 hours long. I am sad to leave Mayo but excited to get to be at home and be a wife and a mom!

P.S. We are now following JB's birth certificate with our UPS tracking number. It should be here this evening or on Monday! Our Dossier will be heading to America World on Monday or Tuesday. At long last . . .

3 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

and i am excited FOR you!

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO! How exciting!

Jodi

TAV said...

I am PROUD of you! Don't let Mayo suck you in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!