Sunday, December 16, 2007

Waiting for the verdict ...

It's 6:15 on a Sunday morning. I'd still be in bed were it not for my delightful little puppy. Scrubs is so cute in the morning. Our bed is too high for him to climb in, but he puts his front paws on the side of the bed, and his tail begins smacking the wall and the dresser in perfect unison as he waits for someone to pet him. When you reach over, his head immediately sinks to the sheets, and he lays there, just letting you scratch him. If the petting stops, he'll get off your side and move to that of the other person.

When JB is on call, Scrubs always seems very confused. He usually goes to JB's side first. We think this is because JB scratches his ears harder than I do. This morning, I heard him go to JB's side. No scratches. No petting. He thus moved to my side, as if settling for my affection instead. A few seconds later he retreats to JB's side of the bed again. Where is that guy?

I really miss JB when he is on call. I especially missed him yesterday. It was a rainy, overcast day, perfect for snuggling up on the couch with a good movie and my best friend. Unfortunately, JB was in the hospital all day. Sign out is at 8am this morning and then I'll have him home. If he didn't get any sleep, his Sunday will be spent mostly in bed. However, last night when I spoke with him, there were no women laboring and no phone calls indicating probable labor. The rainy weather concerned him (apparently changes in the atmosphere really do affect deliveries) but he had taken a long nap and was hopeful for a good night's sleep -- a rarity when on call. It would make the weekend a lot nicer if he were able to catch a few hours of sleep.

Yesterday, I watched William for a few hours in the morning so Matt & Tif could use a rain check at the golf course and get a few Christmas gifts. They always feel bad asking me to babysit, but I am quick to remind them that I will definitely return the favors. This makes them feel better.

I also continue to feel better about the prospect of adding children to the world of our dog. We had, of course, thought Scrubs would be quite a young adult by the time our daughter from China joined our family. It now appears, he will be merely an adolescent when little XY (my brother-in-law in Iraq's nickname for the little guy) joins the fold in May. Since William is now walking, and Scrubs is now not such a frantic puppy, I actually left the two of them out to co-exist instead of sequestering Scrubs in the kitchen as is usually the case. I was so happy with how they did together! There were a few moments when Scrubs got too excited, and I had to separate them for a few minutes, but overall, Scrubs is looking like he will be a great dog to our children. William loves him! Scrubs loves William, especially when William has food. Scrubs will just sit there, patiently waiting for William to share. They walked around the house together, and we even completed a successful walk with leash and stroller. I think this whole baby/dog thing is going to be okay.

I am always blessed to have the Ramages living right around the block. We really try to take care of each other when the other's husband is in the hospital. Last night they had me over for pizza and leftover cookies from the cookie-exchange. It's great to have some humans to talk to when JB is gone for an entire 24 hours.

We have had a busy week, and this week doesn't promise to slow down at all as we get ready to leave for Fort Lauderdale for a whirlwind Christmas visit. We have decided, after much discussion, to leave at 2am on Saturday morning. Originally the plan was a 6pm departure on Friday, as soon as JB got off work, but then we both realized that we are both morning people and driving in the late hours of the night just did not intrigue us. Paying $60 or $70 bucks for a hotel to sleep six hours didn't intrigue us either. So, we opted for a new plan: go to bed as early as we can on Friday night and leave as early as possibly on Saturday morning. Since I nap better in the car then JB, the plan is that I'll take the first shift with a trustee Mountain Dew by my side while John hopefully can snag a few more hours of sleep before the sun comes up and the dog wakes up. We'll see. I think his trouble sleeping has something to do with his trust for me as a driver. WhatEVER.

We will spend four days in Florida before driving back on Christmas Day. I am actually excited about being in my own home on Christmas Day. This has never occurred -- not in a decade of marriage. We plan to open our gifts together, around our tree, on Christmas evening. It should be a fun time.

Our plans in Fort Lauderdale include our yearly holiday movie with the Kit. family, Christmas Eve with my family, and Christmas morning with JB's. I'm also going to get a hair appointment in with the best hair dress in the whole world -- Debbie. I think she'll be appalled at how badly I have let my hair go. I have only gotten it cut once since I have gotten here. No one can recommend a good place for me!

We are also goign to get together with Bri on Sunday afternoon. I am excited to see her -- the first time we have seen her since all this came about. I have been asked to take pictures of Bri and our "son" so I will definitely have to do that. We are a mere three days away from halfway!

2 comments:

Edward Charles said...

I have to agree that once Debbie cuts your hair, it is impossible to find someone else as good. I am still also searching for a good hair dresser. I guess we were so spoiled w/ this growing up. :)
- Michelle

TAV said...

that's so awesome that, even with middle-of-the-night driving, you will get to see family AND be in your own home. i wish i could see all your decorating :)