Sunday, August 06, 2006

Jb is on his way

Well I just returned from dropping JB off at the airport. He will not be back home until September 2nd. Yesterday was a whirlwind of "last minutes" and packing. It is tough to pack for a month -- especially when you have to bring five or six of your Air Force uniforms. The other frustrating thing is that we have this one wonderful suitcase that is gigantic and fantastic to travel with. However, these new fifty pound rules on airplanes mean he can't even completely fill that suitcase up without going over the fifty pound limit! We should have opted for multiple small suitcases.

Flying out of Rochester is so wonderful. For one thing, there are only two counters and six gates. You only need to get there about 30 minutes before your flight. Every time we walk in there we begin reminiscing about episodes of Wings. They also now allow non-ticketed passengers to go back to the gate if they get a special permit. JB thought his mom said that this is now occurring in the Fort Lauderdale airport as well?

Of course, in order to get my gate pass I had to show my driver's license. I must mention that I never officially got my license despite passing the test and showing them a new birth certificate and certified marriage license! Ebby, you were right. I got to keep my old license (with a cut in the top corner) and was given another sheet of paper telling anyone who asks that my new license is on the way. Geesh. So now I have to show the sheet of paper and the license.

JB took the camera with him, and I asked him to take a few pictures if he could. Even though I will be there on Thursday, I am hoping to get to see the base before that. If he takes any, I will share them with you. I am also hoping he has a refrigerator (for my meds) and internet access (for my job with RLS) in his room.

One thought, in the back of my mind, that concerns me, is that we will fall in love with Eglin. Yesterday, JB pulled up two links comparing Residency at Eglin (in the Air Force) or residency at Mayo (civilian). If you are interested, you can check them out here:

Eglin

Mayo

You will notice some major differences. I won't go listing salary differences here on my blog, but if you are interested, you can see the salary differences by clicking on each of those links. They are fairly substantial. In addition, you get four weeks paid vacation at Eglin and only three at Mayo. You get a housing allowance at Eglin. You don't at Mayo. Another big difference? The average in-hospital night call frequency at Eglin is every 15-28 days. At Mayo it is every fifth night! There are a lot of things about Eglin that would be better, and I don't want us to even consider changing our minds. Oh, did I mention the weather in Minnesota and the fact that we are a thirty hour drive from family? Minor inconveniences as well. Ugh!

I have to be honest and say that if we end up at Rochester or at Eglin, I will be very happy. I really feel like it is a win-win situation. My happiness will begin to dissipate slightly if we end up in southern Illinois, D.C., or California (all other base options.) If we end up in Nebraska, I may actually sit on the ground and pout for weeks at a time. All joking aside, this month will be important to firm up what we are going to do. John will also be interviewing with the residency program there as well.

As for me, my Sunday will be spent working for RLS from home and going in and doing some work at Mayo as well. I am also going to pick Kelsey up from the airport at some point. I'm not sure when she gets in. They are also having the kick-off to the CMDA (Christian Medical & Dental Association) Bible study tonight two blocks from our house. It's an ice cream social and always a good time. I might go over there as well although nearly everyone I know who would be there is out of town or busy. We'll see.

6 comments:

yuan family said...

We will be at the ice cream social! We would love to see you there. Also, if you have a free night, we would love to have you over for dinner.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I will try. My boss may want me to come in for a bit, but I may try to come over. I forgot you guys are still in town. Yes!

And yes, dinner would be great. How 'bout when I get back? August 21-Sept 2?

Anonymous said...

The Mayo link does not work.

Anonymous said...

Hmm- the Mayo link is to the Jacksonville, not Rochester (well, Kasson) program.... just so you know.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Hmmm, that makes sense why it says St. Luke. I'll ask JB about it.

Anonymous said...

oh wendi you forgot the best part of eglin. it is home of the army ranger 6th training btln.(the jungle phase of ranger training)hooah