Thursday, August 10, 2006

Insomnia

Again, I apologize for the complaints. I feel like this IVF cycle has included a lot of complaining.

The insomnia from the progesterone has now reached the "I'm going to crazy if I don't sleep" point. The appetite issues are frustrating but manageable. The moodiness is also something I can work through. The upset stomach/GI issues are cumbersome but tolreable. But when you compound all of these with an inability to sleep, the frustration mounts.

Each time I have taken progesterone, I have had a bout of insomnia. I have now taken progesterone, probably 15 times, and it took 4 or 5 times before I noted the timing of the sleepless nights. The doctor told me this is a common side effect and in fact, a google search of "prometrium" (aka progesterone) and "insomnia" gets you over 64,000 hits. He said there is nothing he can prescribe for this, and I must battle through.

An example. Yesterday I was horribly exhausted all day. I came home from work but knew I wasn't ready to sleep. At about 10:00 I finally hit my bed horribly exhausted only to lay there.

Now the thing is, I can't get up when this happens because of the dizzy spells -- at least not for about 3-4 hours. So I laid there and laid there. I finally fell asleep close to midnight only to wake up at 4:15 a.m. wide awake again. The thing is though, I am wide awake but exhausted. I am sure anyone reading this has had a night or two of insomnia (or more) in their life and knows what I am talking about. I am just praying that this week long bout is on its down swing.

Anyways, it is now 5:19, and I gave up falling asleep. I am now halfway through taking this drug. I am praying the Florida air I will get this evening will help improve my sleeplessness. I am also relieved because tomorrow, JB will be working during the day, and while I do plan to work for RLSF from Florida, I will have time to relax and hopefully nap.

Okay, so thank you for listening to me whine. I promise my next post will be whine-free. (Thank you for the straw so I can "suck it up" and no, I don't want any cheese with my wine thank you very much.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two dumb insomnia jokes:
Cure for insomnia? Sleep on the edge of your bed. Soon you'll fall off....
Dr:Look,you know I can't give you any meds for this. I've told you before, you can't take your troubles to bed.
Patient: I know,Doc,but my husband refuses to sleep in the other room!
May you soon be blessed with the rest you need and may your Florida visit be relaxing and refreshing for you physically, spiritually, and emotionally.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Hey these are great! Thanks!!! :)