Saturday, July 01, 2006

World Cup Soccer Woes

I usually work mornings at Mayo, but yesterday, my boss told me he planned to take the morning off to watch World Cup Soccer and would I come in at one. Later he emailed me and said, "let's make it noon."

Sure thing. I worked on RLS stuff at home in the morning instead and watched Germany and Argentina play.

Around 11:50 the game concluded in a tie score and was going into extra time. I checked my email figuring my boss would tell me not to come in until 1:00. I waited until 11:56, didn't see an email, and left for work.

The MOMENT I sat down at work I got an email from him saying he would not be in until one! I emailed him a sarcastic email back about the fact that he was home for the overtime and I was already at work and he apologized for not emailing earlier. Bummer! So I missed the overtime.

He watched Germany win in a shoot out while I entered references. Oh well. At least I got to leave at 4:00 instead of 5.

Speaking of the World Cup, if you are watching a game, take a look at the crowd. Actually take a look at the "guards" in orange shirts in front of the crowd. They have to watch the crowd the entire game! I have decided that this has to be the worst job in the world. They are at one of the best sporting events of the year, and they have to have their back to the action. Ugh! They have to watch for unruly fans or people starting to run out into the field while people yell and cheer about events they can't see. How horrible! I wonder: do they at least get to listen to the game on an ear phone or something?

Well, my dad and I are going to run to Pannakooken for breakfast. I'll update you later today about JB's schedule when I know more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it was really funny reading this,
overtime = extratime
soccer = football