Monday, October 12, 2015

Mushrooms!


(See what I mean? He REALLY loves mushrooms!)

The other day, I left to take Abigail to ballet. When I came home, JB told me that he had gone on a mushroom hunt with the boys while Hannah was napping. He took some pictures and shared some details. It was such a fantastic homeschool activity that I thought I would share them with you:

Can you see the puffballs in this photo? I spotted them from our kitchen window and took the boys out to check them out.

Here's a closer look. See them now?

There were 2 large ones. We left the one on top to release spores. The one on the bottom was very malformed. There is a real small one on the right. We harvested the big one on the left.

Here it is. Calvatia cyathiformis. The Purple-Spored Puffball Mushroom.

The boys got to pick it together!

It's almost the size of their heads!

Calvatia cyathiformis. The Purple-Spored Puffball Mushroom. When the interior is still white, the mushroom is edible. The central white portion will turn purple as the spores mature and are ready to be released.

No comments: