Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I blamed my wife for our messy house, I was wrong for many reasons

Just read this article and wanted to share. 

There were two paragraphs that especially stood out to me ...


The author writes:


We got into a huge fight. Mel told me that I needed to realize what she was up against. And then she told me something that really hit home. She said, “Sometimes it comes down between cleaning the house, and taking Tristan and Norah to the park. Or spending time having fun with them, or teaching them to read or write. Sometimes I can either do the dishes, or teach our son how to ride a bike, or our daughter how to walk. I’d rather do those things, frankly. I’d rather not be that mom who ignores our kids, and myself, because I’m so busy worrying about what the neighbors might think of our messy house.”


What I discovered was that taking care of the home is actually a collection of a million full-time jobs. My wife is a housekeeper, disciplinarian, teacher, nurse, chauffeur, comforter, cook, part-time student, school volunteer, neighborhood caregiver, and more.


This parallels with another piece I read entitled: Apology to All Stay at Home Mums. Written by a stay-at-home Dad, he confesses that he usually to really think how nice it would be to sit around and watch TV all day. Until he became the stay-at-home Dad. 

"It's not easy," he writes in his closing paragraph. "In fact it's the hardest job I've ever had. Sure it has it's moments, but it is a very challenging, very stressful job that is all held together, for most women at least, by a good bottle of wine."

No comments: