Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Movies and Books in Germany

MOVIES

Not being in your own house and not knowing anyone means you have a little bit of extra time on your hands each evening after the boys go to bed. I have watched more movies these last few weeks than I probably have in total since Isaac was born. I wanted to share the movies currently on my list now -- in hopes I can get some good recommendations. Have a movie you think I'd like? Please tell me. While I can get new releases from the video store, I prefer the free ones from the library so try to think of a slightly older film that you think I'd enjoy. I'll repost this list at the end of our trip so you can see the total of what I watched (and read).

Here's my current list:

Conviction -- Very good movie. Intense language. Frustrating to watch the legal system not doing it's job, but exciting to see the good guy win in the end. Also a lesson in how we can sacrifice our families for something we believe in. Is it worth it? Hillary Swank, is, as always, fantastic.

In Love and War -- Stars Chris O'Donnell and Sandra Bullock. I'm pretty convinced that I actually saw this movie many years ago. How sad is it that I can't be sure? Either way, it is a movie based on a true story from the life of Ernest Hemmingway, and the movie, while not fantastic, was worth my time (but barely). A warning though. The ending is pretty stinkin' stinky.

In America -- I have nearly picked this up at the video store a hundred times, but this time, I finally did. Really enjoyed it. Great movie about an Irish immigrant family who relocates to the U.S. in recent times. A warning though. Tough subjects including the loss of a child, pre-term labor, HIV, and grief are itnertwined. Not something to watch for a light-hearted evening but incredibly well-done. Djimon Sounsou (Amistad) was the only very familiar face, but like everything I have seen him in, was fantastic.

Burlesque -- Okay, so Veronica picked this one out. I was not too excited about it. I am not a huge fan of musicals or Cher. But this was a really cute movie! It was a little risqué and had some definite adult content. However, it wasn't a typical musical in the sense that the music was intertwined into the story instead of the music telling the story. I actually really recommend this one. I liked it a lot.

Atonement -- British accents ... which means I have to use subtitles. Rated R for some war scenes and some other adult stuff. I didn't realize it was rated R or I wouldn't have rented it. This was a good movie. I am not a huge Kiera Knightly fan, but I did enjoy this movie. It's just that the whole premise is a bit depressing. What do you do when someone makes a mistake that costs people their entire future? That's really hard to get over. I do recommend this though as it was a powerful movie and very well done.

Love Happens -- Not a completely terrible movie. Fairly clean overall. But just not a movie you really care much about. Don't waste your time on this one. Jennifer Anniston is just not a likeable character and you never really get into her life and the relationships that develop.

My Sister's Keeper -- Well done but sad. I read the book before watching the movie. The movie stays very true to the book except in one huge way, and I am confused as to why they would have made this substantial change?! Pretty clean movie, just not an "uplifting" film. I cried. And I don't cry in movies much. All right. Let's be real. It's INCREDIBLY depressing.

About a Boy -- I've seen this one many times. Got it to share with Veronica and loved it again. It's one of my favorites! Teenagers can probably watch this. Not any real vile humor but definitely a bit more "adult" content. Veronica enjoyed it. JB likes this movie too. So that's a good segment of society represented.

(500) Days of Summer -- A love story -- offbeat romantic comedy. Recommended by Veronica. Really enjoyed this movie even if it frustrated me a bit. I really enjoyed Jospeh Gordon-Levitt (from 3rd Rock from the Sun). He did a great job, and he reminded me of a young Heath Ledger.

IQ -- Not recommended. It's a typical Meg Ryan movie that just falls flat. If you are a huge fan of Albert Einstein, you might enjoy the movie for that reason alone, but Meg Ryan is just annoying and Tim Robbins doesn't help it at all. Not sure how the two of them can create something so ... boring.

Say Anything -- This is an old movie. Can't believe I had never seen this John Cusack film. Watched it during my 3 hour glucose test. Totally enjoyed it even though it was a bit "dated."

P.S. -- Not recommended AT ALL. Firstly, I didn't realize it was rated R when I picked it up. It had some very yuck language and yuck content and was just overall a bit weird. Skip this!

My Date with Drew -- This is a documentary about a guy who has 30 days to earn a date with Drew Barrymore. Quite cute and entertaining even if not a "typical" movie.

Serendipity -- very cute John Cusack movie from 2001. Romantic comedy that stayed very clean. I really enjoyed this movie. Just a light-hearted look at fate and love.

Seven Pounds -- This wasn't a light-hearted watch but wow! Good movie! Deep stuff, but a good conversation piece. Will Smith hasn't ever done a movie I didn't like I don't think.


Hanna -- JB and I went out to a movie! I haven't been to a movie since we moved to Turkey and took the boys to see Cars at the Incirlik theatre. But this was a movie that was actually just released in the USA too. It felt so wonderful to be current. It is definitely more a JB kind of movie (thriller) than a Wendi kind of movie (Romantic Comedy) but I did enjoy it. A bit violent but not overly so. If you like thrillers and not horrors, then this is the perfect fit. Very well done.


Cars II -- We went and saw this at the theatre twice. Yes, it was a tad more "violent" than the first film but my boys were not scared or bothered in the least. It was more spy-oriented so a bit more "intense" if you will. Both my boys sat through the entire movie both times. Actually, most of the theatre was glued to it, despite it being a theatre filled with kids.


Confessions of a Shopaholic -- I thought this was a very cute movie. Really enjoyed it. Clean and fun.


Did You Hear About the Morgans? -- I rented this movie because I heard it had an infertility sub-plot, and I wanted to see it for myself. I don't care for Sarah Jessica Parker, but I usually like Hugh Grant. This movie probably isn't worth your time. It was just okay. But I did enjoy seeing the way infertility can take a toll on a couple. In the end, there is a "Hollywood" ending, so be prepared for that if you are going through infertility.


Miss Potter -- This was a very clean and very sweet movie but a tad on the boring and sad side. It details the life of Beatrix Potter and the way her pictures come to life was quite fascinating.


BOOKS


I've also been reading quite a few books during my time away. I have a few that I haven't finished so I'll wait to add those. But here are the ones that I have:


19 Minutes -- Jodi Piccoult. I just cannot decide whether I like Piccoult or not. I have read about five of her books. They are all deep. Depressing. Intense. But also just so incredibly well written. I guess I can say that I so love her writing style but just not necessarily what she writes. If you like Piccoult, you'll love this book. If you don't like her, stay away as this is very typical Piccoult stuff.


Something Borrowed -- Emily Giffin. Checked this out from the library simply because it was on the best seller list. While it stayed fairly clean, it was definitely adult content and not one I can really recommend. Deals with cheating and betrayal in a way that makes you cheer for the bad guy.


Until Tuesday -- Luis Carlos Montalvan. Just finished this book about a wounded veteran and the service dog who saved his life. If you are a dog person you'd enjoy this book. If you have no love of dogs, don't read it. Also a great look at the realistic nature of PTSD and the world of war.


Three Cups of Tea -- Greg Mortenson. Since I am living in the Middle East and surrounded by the Mulslim culture, I found this book fantastic and incredibly interesting. There has been some recent drama surrounding whether the book stayed entirely accuracy. But let me say that the discussions I have read all surround very small deviations from what actually happened. The story itself is founded on fact. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how we can truly change the world with a little charisma and a little drive.


The Things We Do For Love -- Kristin Hannah. I actually read this right before I left but am not sure if I posted a review or not. This is a book about teenage pregnancy and infertility. If you are going through the adoption process, I would NOT recommend it. But if you are on the other side (like me), I think you'd really enjoy it. Quite a page turner. Quite emotional. Really enjoyed it but not sure I could have read it earlier in our journey.

That's My Son -- Rick Johnson. A book on how moms can influence boys to become men of character. I just did a FULL review on this book. Very informative. Very helpful. Lots to think about when it comes to being a mom of the opposite sex!



The Shack --WM. Paul Young. I'm halfway through this. Stay tuned for my full reivew.


A Vision of Lucy -- Margaret Brownley. I did a full review of this book here.


The Secret Life of Bees -- Sue Monk Kidd. I have a thing for books detailing the differences between the races. This was one set in the 60's, at the climax of the Civil Rights Movement. The story of the bees and the idol worship of a black Mary was a little bizarre, but the story itself was fascinating, and I finished the book in a matter of days. Well worth your time. Now I have to go see the movie.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

A friend of ours directed My Date with Drew! He also directed the recent Karen Kingsbury adaptation, Like Dandelion Dust. Glad you've found some good movies while in Deutschland!

Anonymous said...

Think I'll go to the S's at the library and look for Serendipity and Say Anything :)
I LOVE Much Ado About Nothing -Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branaugh (sp?);
There is an old one called Amazing or Saving Grace about the pope getting out of the Vatican and living among the people -it is awesome....
Green Card is another favorite of mine -just the scene playing the piano is worth the movie but the whole thing is great including the last kiss! I love Undercover Blues too -great fun -reminds me of uncle ed and my life when cara was a baby (in ways! :) I love you -i am praying for you and rooting for Wednesday when JB is there --praying for Syria, Bara and family and Turkey...you are a very courageoues woman...Zephaniah 5:7 "The Lord your God is with you. he is mighty to save. he will take great delight in you. he will quiet you with His love. he will rejoice over you with singing..." (taking that with me, myself, this morning to beginning of treatments xo! thought of it for you!) xoxoxo Tante J

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of anything that makes you think to hard or anything that makes you cry at the end. I like romance, comedy, fantasy and some sci-fi.

Baby Mama - It's an infertility/surrogate story told in a way that only Tina Fey could tell it. It has a lame ending though. And even though it brings up old infertility feelings and I cry in spots it's still hilarious.

Princess Bride

Sweet Home Alabama

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

When Harry Met Sally

Gone with the Wind (very long movie)

Glory Road (I think that's the name of it. It's about a basketball coach)

Yes Man (Jim Carrey)

You can go old school and watch classic Disney movies - The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Shaggy D.A., The Million Dollar Duck, The Parent Trap....etc.

Emma

Pride and Prejudice

Sense and Sensibility

A League of Their Own.

Memphis Belle

Jumanji

That's about all I can think of for now.

Bethany

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
If you wanna understand me a little bit more than you know me now watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" there is too many similarities to my family.. its a light fun movie to watch and is really one of my favorite movies..Let me know if you do watch it..
Rana

Heather said...

I recommend The Blind Side (2009). It was one of my favourite recent movies.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Janet -- you will love Serendipity and Say Anything. Very "you" -- esp. Serendipity. Saw "Much Ado". Couldn't find Amazing/Saving Grace or Undercover Blues at the lbirary. Saw "green Card" -- good one.

Bethany -- the only 3 on your list I haven't seen are "Memphis Belle", "Glory Road" and "Babby Mama" which based on your recommmendation, will see. (I didn't know if I would like it.)

Rana -- I have seen "greek wedding" about 100 times. It is on my all-time list. Absolutely fabulous.

Heather -- saw "Blind Side." Loved it.

Anonymous said...

I have a book recommendation. You can only read it online right now though. I haven't read it but I know the author. It's a historical Christian fiction love story. Here's the link. http://www.authonomy.com/books/33204/finally-home/

Bethany