Friday, July 18, 2008

We are the proud owners of . . .

a minivan.

Yes folks. It is official. The Kits are driving a minivan.

My mom wanted me to post a picture. Don't bet on it. I don't plan to produce proof anytime soon of our venture to the dark side -- a side complete with cheerios stuffed in seats and soccer moms racing from event to event.

Wait a minute. I suppose me just writing about buying the minivan, even if there aren't visuals, constitutes proof that we bought one.

Okay, so I have to be okay with this, and honestly, I really am. We bought a 2002 Honda Odyssey. It doesn't have any bells and whistles, but it does only have 44,000 miles on it. We tried to make an SUV work. We really did. We messed with the seats and brainstormed getting three children under three in and out of it. We wanted it to work for us so badly.

In the end, we felt like we would have to make the SUV work.

I had images of trying to get three tiny tykes in and out of the SUV, and I could feel my blood pressure rising while I thought about it. Seats would have to be flipped down and kiddos lifted over seats and hoisted into the vehicle. Once we climbed into the minivan, we knew this was what we needed to do even though we knew once we went there, we'd never be able to go back. I can easily picture a road trip with three kids and a dog without my heart racing.

So that's it. It's done. I love the van. And I am proud of it and the family we'll put inside.

In other news, last night, after we signed the papers and officially owned the minivan, JB and I went out for a date. It was a pharmaceutical dinner at Ruth Chris. If you aren't familiar with these dinners, pharmaceutical companies host very fancy affairs where healthcare professionals can go, get a wonderful meal, and listen to a long-winded but often fairly interesting professional. Spouses usually cannot go but because I work as a medical writer, I am considered a healthcare professional and can attend! How great is that? Dinner was fabulous. I told JB, when dinner was over, that as good as it was, I didn't think I'd ever go back to a restaurant that costs around $100 a plate. I said that until the restaurant manager gave each of us a $50 gift card. So, I guess we'll go back. :)

I have left Isaac before with people, but this is the first time that we left him in the evening and went out just the two of us for a date. We meant to do this many weeks or months ago, but quite honestly, with JB's crazy schedule, we really haven't had a chance.

We were so blessed that Joia agreed to watch Isaac. Joia is such a good mom and just loves babies. She really has a gift with children. I didn't worry for a second about Isaac while I was gone. And, when we got home, I was able to read about their fun time on her blog. Check it out! The Lord has blessed us with such wonderful friends here and such a great support group for raising our children. Children?! Yikes!

Today is a new day. I am going to go with Brittney R. to a swim day with some of the ladies and children from church. I am also busy getting ready to pick up JB after work today and head out to Amelia Island to see my parents. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait to hear about the trip until we get back as I don't plan to bring a computer on our vacation. Needless to say, we are super excited to see my parents and just have a relaxing weekend at a hotel on the beach.

I also wanted to take a quick moment to wish my parents a happy 33rd anniversary. How awesome is that?

See you when we get back!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just picturing you lifting Isaac in and out of the backseat of your old car (btw, did you keep it or trade it??)made me cringe. Those car seats are ridiculously heavy!!!Plus, now knowing you were already preg...double cringe!So yeah!
Pictures at Joia's are great!
Happy Anniversary, Coach and Di!
Have a great weekend!

Iturblog said...

Congrats on your van purchase! It'll fit right in at the parking lot at church and outside the R's on Wednesday nights! We love our Odyssey-you'll most likely get over the whole "I'm driving a mini-van!" thing pretty quickly-they make getting around with children a LOT easier! We previously had a Nissan Sentra-definitely would NOT have worked with three children-we BARELY made it with two! Great choice! Hope you have a nice trip!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on joining the minivan club. I, in contrast to you, was more than willing to embrace the minivan. Having also had to contort my body in crazy positions to lift out the baby in the carseat that seemed to weigh a ton, I was happy to be able to stand and put her in a car for a change (as was my chiropractor). Also, you put one of those travel system strollers in the trunk of a civic and you have no room for anything else like... groceries! You'll learn to love it!

Jenny Wilson
Enjoy Amelia Island!

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Welcome to the dark side! You might be surprised that with time you actually (secretly) enjoy the hidden treasures of a mini-van :) I know we do, especially on days when we have 3 (almost 4!) car seats to heave ho kids into along with 2 strollers and all the mountains of stuff that kids need. I can't imagine going back to our grand prix! But, it's ok to be resistent...having the ol' minivan definitely means you've moved to a new phase of life :) Enjoy it!

Happy Anniversary, Coach and Di, and have a great vacation!
Love, Kel :)

Amy T. S. said...

You'll be OK, you'll survive the minivan days. I love our Toyota Sienna it is SO easy to get kids in and out! Now if ONLY we can get the cat to stop peeing in the infant seat, we'll be golden!

YUCK!

Anonymous said...

Minivans are for old people.

Hans

yuan family said...

I want to see a picture! Minivans are very practical so I completely understand...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for my husband's comment....

He is in for a rude awakening when we get one someday!!!

Anonymous said...

Now you are officially qualified for "The Soccer/Basketball/Volleyball/Cricket/Tennis/Football/Baseball/Tennis/Golf/Dance/Martial Arts/Camp/Swimming Mom Club Inc." I hear it's much, much harder to gain membership if you own an SUV ;-)
I have no doubt I'll be just as resistant when my time comes, but hey, what a GREAT decision to be in denial about!

Congrats Wendiloo!

TAV said...

(Gulp) re: the restaurant.
And only 3 children? what about your other sticky 7 children? :)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

you will sooooo LOVE the van!!!!!
I was just like you, dead set against it, but I miss mine so much. SUV's are nice but overratted! CONGRATS. :)

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd see the day when your blog was filled with talk of mini-vans and pharmaceutical dinners! What's next? 4:00pm dinners and senior citizen discounts!!!

Josh