Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Does he need to go on a diet?

I made this quick video for the people on my Dalmatian Board. So they could tell me if Scrubs needed to go on a diet.



Now that he is not a "little" puppy (in the size sense not the obedience sense), I think I need to cut down his food. I've been doing what the bag says only to find out that dog food bags lie to you! This makes sense of course. Why would they want to tell you the truth and have you only buy one bag of dog food of month when a slight lie will give you a pudgy dog but double their income!?

I think from the side, Scrubs is okay, but from the top, well, there's a bit of a pudge. I've noticed he can't jump as high as he used to as well. I don't want to cut out snacks as these are great motivators, so I am cutting down his food first in hopes this cuts down a few of the rolls.

But what do you think? Is my Scrubby pudgy?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that since he's still in puppy-range, he's not fat. They probably have a scale like they do for babies that compares weight to height etc. The problem I think you will have is that since he's really a combination Dalmation and Pinto-or thoroughbred "pinmation" you may have to adjust his feed to accommodate both dogs and horses:)

Anonymous said...

He is soooooo active Wen-I think he works it off. He mainly eats early right? I think he looks lean. Scrubby is fine. I think you hurt his feelings telling him he was fat! Mom H

Anonymous said...

Tell John to stop serving him all that Thai and Indian food he makes!
It's FATTENING!

Josh

Anonymous said...

Here's a question. How easy is it for you to feel his ribs? You should be able to easily palpate his ribs without having to push very hard. I agree with you that from the side he does look very fit. From the top looking down from the camera angles, he may have a little extra padding... Though...,they say a camera adds 10 lbs... ;)

And yes I agree that dog food packaging is VERY generous with their portion sizes.

Here is a link that might help: www.purina.com/dogs/health/bodycondition.aspx

-RJMB from HP
-RJMB from HP