Sunday, July 30, 2006

Shortless

Yesterday was a GREAT day. We slept in. I worked on my infertility boxes for Rochester Women. I did laundry. JB made a great dinner. I took a long nap. JB walked to Barnes & Nobles for a few hours. We watched Chicken Run (cute movie).

We also went to the mall. I was looking for a pair of shorts. Looking through my drawers, I realized that I really do not own a pair of nice shorts. I own tons of running shorts. I own tons of junky shorts. I own tons of shorts to wear around the house. However, I don't really have a pair of shorts to wear in public.

The reason. Well, truth be known, I haven't really had a nead for them since we left Kentucky, and I have let my life in this area fall by the wayside. (I know! The horror!) The summers in Minnesota, up until now, have been very cool. I remember that the first summer I was here, I had to wear a sweatshirt nearly the entire time.

However, this year has been different. We have been in the nineties for weeks now. Everyone is constantly complaining. I keep telling them, "You are only allowed to complain about one season!" You can't complain about it being so stinkin' cold all the time, and then complain about it being so stinkin' hot. I don't think that is allowed. But I do agree, it has been a little on the warm side.

Okay, so where was I. Oh, yeah ... shorts.

So I went to the mall to try to find shorts. We left ninety minutes later with a pair of shorts and some t-shirts ... for JB. I couldn't find women's shorts ANYWHERE. They don't really even sell them. The junior section sells a few pairs of tiny little shorts. The women's section sold a few pairs of old lady shorts. However, there was NOTHING inbetween. I left completely shortless.

Since we only have one mall in Rochester, I either have to wait until I go to Florida in two weeks to find a pair, or I'll have to drive to the Mall of America sometime. But either way, I was very disappointed.

* * * * *
Some of you may have noticed a comment the other day from my relative, Hero. Hero lives in Holland, and his first language is Dutch. He has, however, attempted to communicate with me in English. I am not sure how he tracked me down, but I have been helping him try to fill in the holes of our family tree. He is 85 and is my grandfather Martin, who passed away in 1995, first cousin.
Anyways, Hero wrote his comment in Dutch. Many of you all know that I am 100% Dutch. However, I don't speak any Dutch really. I am trying to get my friend Joan, who grew up speaking fluent Dutch, to help me translate, but for now, I have attempted to translate on my own. Here is what I have come up with.
Hero wrote:
Ik hou van kaarten en wel het meest van klaverjassen en canasta.Overigens is na 1 les en dan winnen 'beginners'geluk. Tot mijn spijt besteed ik de laatste jaren niet veel tijd aan kaartspelletjes omdat de voltooing van onze stamboom nogal wat tijd vraagt.Hardlopen voor een 85-er lijkt mij geen gezonde bezigheid Ik doe meer aan fietsen, bijvoorbeeld 2-3 keer in de week en meestal 25 -45 km per rit. Jouw blog is zeer informatief en lezenswaardig (ben nogal eens een woorden boek nodig) en doet mij denken aan een dagboek waarin toch wel persoonlijke mededelingen worden gedaan.Ik verwacht dat een kenner van het Nederlands dit verhaaltje wel even vertaald.Ik woon in een kleine stad in het noordoosten van Groningen .een provincie van Nederland, dicht bij de grens met Duitsland.
I think, in a general sense, he has said:
I play cards and Chess and after one lesson, I win. Beginner's luck! I don't play much though because working on our family tree takes a lot of my time. I am 85 and healthy. I ride my bike 2-3 times a week for about a 25-45 km ride. Your blog is very informative but I need a dictionary to read a lot of it. I think a Dutch expert could translate your blog or this comment. I live in a small city in Northeast province of the Netherlands, near the border of Germany.
I am waiting for Joan to confirm this for me. I did my best.

12 comments:

yuan family said...

Wendi, try Old Navy for shorts. I have gotten some there that aren't too short. I am not sure if they still have their summer stuff, but it is worth a shot since it is SO hot here!..I know that you probably don't think it is hot, but for us Oregonians....it is really hot and humid!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks Kristen! I definitely will. This has been the hottest summer since we have been here but it's still not much for us. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendi,

Try looking at a thrift shop--they have older styles that aren't as short. I don't know of any in Rochester, but the next time you are here I can point you in the right direction. It'll be much cheaper than the MOA!

Liz Nyenhuis said...

I'm with you on the whole it's been hot lately (I live in Michigan, where, until the past year or so, my summer consisted of jeans and a tee-shirt or shorts and a sweatshirt). I recently came to the same realizations that you did: I didn't have any shorts and nobody sells shorts unless they are way to small or way to grandma-ish. Anyhoo, I recommend checking out Kohl's, Younker's, JC Penny's, and Sears. I ended up finding one (yes only one) pair at Kohl's.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH FOR SHORTS.

LIZ

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Kohls and thrifting ... both good ideas. Not sure if I have the patience for thrifting with my unique body shape :) But both good ideas. I feel pathetic for not having thought of these before.

Gabbs said...

Buy shorts online if you can't find them in the stores. And, since the fall lines are coming out, you may find a sale.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I can't do it online. I tried that. I need to try them on -- my length is too difficult. But maybe i need to suck it up.

Anonymous said...

Wendi, if you suck up your length,you'll just elongate your torso-another whole set of problems:) Personally, I think you look great in skirts and while shorts may be comfortable, they're not as pretty. ps... Can't believe we will get to see you two in just a few weeks. Yeah!

Anonymous said...

Wendi, if you suck up your length,you'll just elongate your torso-another whole set of problems:) Personally, I think you look great in skirts and while shorts may be comfortable, they're not as pretty. ps... Can't believe we will get to see you two in just a few weeks. Yeah!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

So Mom, are you guys for sure coming to Eglin?

As for the shorts, I agree that they aren't the best look on anyone, but I need some to do "shorts activities".

Anonymous said...

A tip on how to shorten the torso: Layers. Layers are in right now. There are plenty of long Dago T's out there. Put a lighter one underneath and a darker shorter shirt over that. It breaks up the torso. Regarding shorts; Madeline is into the longer short that comes right above the knee. Very cute look coupled with the layered top. The layered look is cute with skirts too. I'm sure you know all this, just trying to act like I know something about fashion :) Aunt L

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I'm not really interested in shortening the torso, but I do agree with the long pants. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any of THOSE either!!! But good idea Linda -- your fashion sense is superb! :)