Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Self-care isn't a bad word


Love your neighbor as yourself.

An easier question: How are you doing at loving your neighbor?

And here's a harder question: how are you doing at loving yourself

This question can get a little controversial in nature because, as Christians, we are constantly reminded to be loving others. 

Reach out.

Be kind.

Turn the other cheek. 

Share.

Give.

Why isn't the church reminding us to take care of ourselves? Because: to do that is to be selfish. We shouldn't spend too much time thinking about ourselves. Don't look inward for too long. Help the widows. Help the orphans. 

Yes to all that. But sacrifice yourself? Put yourself ... last? NO!

Selfishness: Isn't that what the millennials and University students are busy doing now? Taking days off for self-care. Mental health must be a priority. We tease these young people for needing to be cautious about their "trauma" and "triggers."

And yes, some of those humans are ridiculous. Truth. But, in general, I feel like I spent my life not understanding how to take care of myself. Am I caring about others? Am I serving? Am I helping? Am I caring?

Go to bed at night and mentally check off the boxes for my care for everyone else. But what about some boxes of self care.

What about loving my neighbor as much as myself. 

Are you loving YOURSELF?

Chances are, you, like me, are not. Even to say that is a bit scary. I do NOT want to be selfish. At all. We put everyone before ourselves. We run ourselves ragged to keep up in this world. We take care of our spouse and our children and our church community and the elderly. But sit down and just BE? Sit down and just REST?

Who has time for that?

Well, I do. Or, I'm trying to make time. I am learning to do that. I'm learning to move slower. To sit more. To color. To rest. To read. To BE. That means I am saying no to things that I want to do. Things that I would love to do. And even things I probably should do. Or things I am telling myself I should do.

For me these steps are small. They are laying in the hammock when I think I should clean my bathroom. They are taking a nap even though we have company. They are lingeringly taking a walk through the hill son my farm when the weather is perfect and the sun is just setting. They are being with God, at all times. Not just at the time that I take out my Bible to "spend time with him."

This is a journey I am on. And I know, as my tank fills, the ability to remember these things will be even hard to remember. 

But for today ... self-care.

It isn't a bad word.




1 comment:

jan k said...

It reminds me of a book I haven't read for awhile but want to look at again by Brother Lawrence called "Practicing the Presence of God"....