Thursday, June 06, 2019

Review: CTC Math

CTCMath
I honestly believe every single person who is homeschooling should be using this program. It's that good. And it's that EASY to do. It makes math a joy in our home, and I have recommended it without hesitation to every single person I talk to about "what do you do for math?"

Those of you who read my Blog regularly will not be surprised with this review. I have raved about this product since I was first asked to review it back in August of 2016. (Rave is really not strong enough of a word in explaining how much we love this program.) Here are the past posts that have included CTC on my Blog:
QUICK OVERVIEW
When we first were given the opportunity to review this program, I only used the Family Membership to CTCMath with my two sons (who were second grade math at the time.) The next year we added my daughter Abigail. And then we added Hannah. Now all four of my children use this program. However, I want you to keep reading because I have a very special review to include with this post. 

Here's how it works: the individual child logs into the program with their unique login and password. He/she then goes to the next lesson in their list. They watch a short video on that lesson and then they answer questions that go with that lesson. Each of my kiddos work through each lesson individually and without parental involvement or help. If they have trouble with a lesson and get a poor score, then Dad or Mom will watch the video with them, and they will try it again. 
"What I like most about CTC is that the lessons are short and mostly easy." Isaac (age 11)
"CTC has a video to explain everything before they just plunge me into questions. I like that." Sidge (age 10)
"CTC is good that it teaches me math." Hannah (age 5)

"I like the accent of the guy who teaches you." Abigail (age 7)
SPECIAL REVIEW
My friend Anni (a math teacher for deaf students) tried out the program HERSELF. She has been teaching for MANY years and had to take the Praxis this year because they are changing what she is teaching. She hasn't done Calculus in years and was very nervous about taking the test.  So she decided to try out CTC as an adult and see how it works. Here is her review.

"I've taught middle school for 14 years and restructuring at my school has me scheduled to teach some high school math classes. I've already registered to take a Praxis in a few months to keep my teacher credentials up-to-date, but I'm very rusty on trigonometry and calculus as I've not actually done that level math in 20 years. Wendi showed me CTC and suggested the program might be a way to solidify my skills, and I'm glad she did. I'm working my way through Algebra clear to Calculus just to be sure I'm not missing any foundational skills. I usually read the "Lesson Summary" first, and if nothing looks out of my current skill level, I go straight to the questions. If, when looking at the lesson summary, I'm confused about the examples, I watch the short video where the steps are shown and explanations are expanded. I've only gotten less than a satisfactory percent on two lessons, but it seems the second set of questions were tailored to the specific questions I got wrong the first time around. I've worked on CTC for an hour or two each day the past two weeks and have covered a lot of ground on the program and gained a lot of confidence in my preparation for my upcoming Praxis."
This is the screen Anni is referring to (above). For this lesson, you can click on the "Lesson Summary" in the bottom left section or just jump to the video. You can also do the questions or a worksheet as well. 
REPORTS
I can get detailed reports telling me exactly how each of my children did on each lesson that they do. For example, I can look up Isaac's report. It will tell me his "Efficiency Rating" and will tell me what his result was on his first attempt and what his highest attempt was. It will also tell me how many times he took the lesson in an attempt to pass it and what date he passed it on. I also can get reports emailed to me (which I do!) and get information about when and for how long my student was logged into the program.

OTHER FEATURES:
In addition, there are a few others features sort of "off-the-beaten-path" that I wanted to emphasize. 
  • Speed Skills: Work on speed in addition, subtraction, multiplication or division!
  • Times Tables: Provides a game for your student to practice their multiplication skills.
  • Swap the Pieces: A logic game that requires some major thinking!
COST
CTCMath's Single Membership is now available for you to try for free! You do NOT want to miss this opportunity. You truly have nothing to lose. Two free weeks to see how it works for you. 

If you are a homeschooler, you can now purchase the Family Membership for under $150 for the year by utilizing THIS COUPON. This works out to about $13 a month. You can also choose to purchase a single membership (if you have only one child or a month membership as well. 

Other questions? Email me at wkitsteiner@gmail.com and I'll fill you in and tell you to ORDER IT today!

No comments: