Friday, June 28, 2019

God Believes You Are a Capable Mother


Flashback: I’m twenty-one and in my first semester of teaching high school English. I show my mentor teacher my senior English roster, and she scrunches up her nose and takes a deep breath before telling me this is the most incomprehensible combination of students she’s ever seen. “If I had to pick twenty of the most difficult seniors from the two hundred or so we have at this school,” she said, “you’d have them all in this one room.”

Lovely.

These students were single moms and dads, drug addicts, criminals, and drop-outs who were returning to give education one more chance, and I was only a year or two older than many of them. But I came up with a plan:

To read the rest of my post, please jump over to THE GLORIOUS TABLE. 

No comments: