Sunday, June 02, 2019

We Bought a Farm: Just Sitting ... and waiting

"And into the field I go to lose my mind and find my soul."


Somedays I am farmin' the whole day. This weekend has been a lot of farmin'. Jacob was off on Saturday. JB was home both days. And there was just a whole lot of stuff going on. 

There were 100 new turkeys! See photos below:



These guys gave us quite the frustration when the temperature unexpectedly dropped 25 degrees between 6 and 9pm on their first night. They decided to get into a big pile and a few of them suffocated. So frustrating! We had four casualties. And the next morning, we decided to pull ten more out for some TLC inside the house:



There was also a big surprise. The guinea eggs Jacob had incubated ... hatched! The girls got to see two of the guineas come out of their eggs. The boys got to see one. When I told the kids during the waiting game that they needed to do their piano, Hannah said: "But Mom. I've never ever seen an animal hatch from an egg." Well, all right then. Check out these adorable pics (below).



In the midst of that, JB had a whole truck-load of leaf compost that needed to be unloaded from his truck. It was quite stuck together, and my shovel wasn't really doing the trick so I just got on my hands and knees and decided to dig. 


There was also some paddocks to set up. There was some fencing to take down. There was one dog's whelping box to get set up. (Arabelle should be delivering in the next 2-3 weeks!) It was just super super busy.

But flashback to that photo I started the post with:


I've realized that while farming is busy, there is a lot of time that you just have to sit (or stand) around and wait. Like filling up the sheep water. I can't leave the hose in the container because it can get siphoned back out. Which means I have to fill it, fill the second one, and then pull the hose out.

So I just sat down.

I sat around.

And waited.

While farming is busy, there is also a lot of standing around. There is talking. There are jokes. There are laughs. There is sweat. And glasses of water. 

While I sat and waited for the water to fill, I decided just to sit down. I sat there and prayed. And I wrote this Blog post in my head.

Lots of going.

And lots of waiting.

Both are wonderful,

 

No comments: