Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Than I normally would

Last night, as I laid next to Sidge in his bed, he turned to me and said, "You are the greatest mom ever."

A few minutes later, while taking a shower (a place of great intellectual thought), I thus began thinking to myself. "Really? Right now? Right now, I am not on my game. The last few weeks/months have been some of my hardest as a mom. I feel like I am surviving each day. And tonight he tells me I'm the best?"

But then I thought about it. Yesterday (and during the last five weeks if I am being honest) I:
  • sat on the floor in the midst of a sea of a Thomas trains while they played much longer than I normally would. I normally would have gotten up thinking of all the things that needed to be done.
  • sat on the couch reading books for twice as long as I normally would.
  • laid in bed with each boy as they went to bed, much longer than I ever normally do.
  • spoke much softer than I normally do.
  • moved much slower than I normally do.
  • went to fewer places and did much less running around than I normally would.
And I thought to myself, as a good friend told me, despite the fact that I don't feel "up to myself", my kids are not suffering. Maybe, in fact, they are getting even more from their mom than they normally would.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like his love language is quality time-way to fill his love tank!

Jenny said...

Beautiful Wen!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that interesting?! The kids just want us and they want us close. You're a great mom!!!-Sonia B