Saturday, March 24, 2012

Craftically Challenged

I am not a crafty person. At all. I am not a creative person either. If it doesn't involve writing, I don't do it. Yes, I scrapbooked. Okay, so that's one thing. 

I'm not a science person either. At all. Truly, Isaac knows more about electricity than I do. (He's fairly obsessed with electricity, and we watch videos like this and like this nearly every day.) (He's also obsessed with warning signs on buildings and fire and how it works and how you can put it out with a fire extinguisher. Youtube is awesome for explaining what I am unable to explain.)

Anyways, I say all that to tell you that when you look at the things I "do" with my kids on this blog, you must understand that if I can do it, anyone can do it. You must also understand that I do something like this, once a day. (If they're lucky.) Our day is filled with lots of boring, mundane activities and sprinkled with the one thing I might highlight on the blog. I don't write about the other stuff on my blog because ... well, it is boring and mundane stuff. 

Before I was a mom, and even after I became one of preschoolers, I would read these other blogs from moms who seemed to do all these incredible crafts and activities. That is not me. Firstly, I have two boys. And a baby. And a dog. I'm quite outnumbered. I can't devote myself to that type of thing. Are they nuts? Why would they want to do crafts with their children?

But as my boys have gotten older, I have seen the need to challenge their thinking. To help them learn. To help them grow. To fill our day with positive things instead of TV and video games. In order to do that, you have to do a bit of creative work. I see that now.

We got a great book from the library called: Everything I Need to Know Before I'm Five.  The kids love it. I love it. It's incredibly interesting. They show you numbers. And shapes. And colors. Inside/Outside. Up/Down. That sort of thing. 


They have an entire page illustrating how to make different colors using a picture of a duck. A yellow duck plus a picture of a blue duck equals a green duck. The boys totally got it. Especially slightly older Isaac. I decided, spur-of-the-moment, to show them these by using food coloring and paints. It was great! We had a fantastic time making different color water and paint. Way easy. Way fun.


Trust me. If I can do this, you can do it. Seriously. Craftically Challenge. Really.

1 comment:

TAV said...

I am craftically challenged, too! Will have to get good guide books if/when we have kids!