Monday, February 20, 2006

The word SNAFU

Okay, so yesterday I used the word SNAFU in my blog. I mentioned that I wasn't even sure how to spell snafu.

Leave it to my husband to look up the word online. Leave it to my husband to inform me that the word "snafu" means: SITUATION NORMAL ALL f____ed UP.

Apparently you can put any word in there that you would want. Some nice people use 'fouled'. Some not nice people use a more aggressive word. Apparently it's a '"murphy's law" expression. You may think things are normal, but everything is always messed up.

WHAT?!?! Are you kidding me? I know that I have heard my mother use this word before. I know that I have heard my pastors use this word before. This word is used in the English language on a daily basis. And it is really the same as the word "B-F-E".

Aaaahhh B-F-E. This is another interesting English invention. The word means that something is VERY far away. It means that something is practically in Egypt. However, the first two words in this expression are also innapropriate to post on my blog so you can use your imagination.

Where we attended college in Kentucky, there was one parking lot that was SOOOO far away from all the classroom buildings. I was surprised when someone told me that this lot was called "BFE". In fact, by the time I left, this lot had been officially named "Egypt" and a sign had been put up by the University to attest to this fact.

Snafu?! BFE?! What is with our world today?

No comments: