Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Shameful Admission

I have to admit something that I am not proud of.

Last night while JB was on overnight call, I got quite bored, and I did something I am not very proud of.

I watched "The Bachelor".

What is it with that show? It is so painful to watch. It is so horribly frustrating, and yet whenever JB isn't home, I find myself flipping to this guilty pleasure, debating about which girl he'll pick. Yelling at the screen. Afraid to miss any of the drama. What is with reality TV? How twisted is all of this?

This was the season finale, and I watched as the Bachelor fell for two women. One of these women, Moana, had protected herself from men her whole life. She finally decides to let her guard down, and Travis dumps her, for Sarah, from Nashville. (Travis is from Nashville too which didn't hurt Sarah's chances. He's actually a doctor at Vanderbilt. This didn't hurt his chances either.)

Now I like Sarah. She's a kindergarten teacher and perfect "wife material". I definitely think Travis made the right decision, but man, you have to sit there and watch Moana in the car just sobbing and going on about this deep pain in her soul, and you are thinking, "Why the heck is American watching this crap?" "Why the heck am I watching this crap?"

Of course, did I change the channel? Heck no! I had to see who he was going to pick. I had to watch it up until the very last rose.

I thought about putting a picture of Moana and Sarah up on my blog, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It feels so wrong. It is like admitting permanently, for the rest of eternity, that I watched The Bachelor. Of course, just writing that I watched it is completely different. It means I watched it, but my devotion wasn't quite so deep.

And don't you give me a hard time because I know a bunch of you watched it too and even worse, a lot of you watched it (especially the men out there) and won't admit you watched it! At least you can have the guts to do as I have done and BLOG about your pathetic Monday evenings. Be proud!

No comments: