Tuesday, September 20, 2005

ahhhh-choooo

Well, on Monday morning at 7 a.m., JB completed his 24 hour on-call rotation in OB. He actually delievered two babies on his own which was very exciting! And the wonderful husband that he is met me at the allergist at 7:45 after being up for nearly two days.

My allergies have been a huge issue for me this year. I really didn't struggle with them much at all the first two summers/fall in Minnesota, but this year, if I am outside for more than an hour, I become infested with sneezing and a runny nose and want to tear off my head! (At this point Jb the realist would ask me if this is really what I want to do. It is! I mean it. I want to tear off my head!)


The only way I can describe it is someone torturing you by putting a feather up your nose and twisting it around. (It makes me want to sneeze just thinking about it!) What makes it worse is that, if I go outside, I pay for it for another day, I am so exhausted. With one month of nice weather and a lot of family coming in, I don't want to be stuck keeping the air on and not going outside.

Anyways, our friend Miguel from Bible Study (who does not want me to call him "Doctor Parks" I found out), got me in yesterday morning. He took a detailed history and smerked when I told him I made an annoying noise with my throat (JB completely agreed -- he hates when I do this). But Miguel said that 99% of people who make this noise, have bad allergies.

So they did a detailed allergy test where they poke your arm with about 45 different needles for all the common things you are allergic to. Turns out I was a little allergic to dust mites and white ash. However, my arm practically blew up by the ragweed prick. It was huge! Miguel said I am very allergic to ragweed. He also said that this year had been particarly bad for this weed.

So, he gave me stuff to treat this and said next year he would have me treat preventively beforehand. I also got in a study while I was there for people who have what I have and made $25 by giving some blood. They also asked to put me on the list for people to call when they have studies. Miguel said I'd be getting called a lot so I am not sure I am glad I did that or not.


After taking the meds yesterday, I feel a lot better. The other good news: at first freeze, the allergy will be gone. So I guess I have something to look forward to about winter this year.

JB has off today and then goes in tonite from 7 p.m. until tomorrow at 7 a.m. Also, Thursday nite Kristi comes into town!!! I canNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!

No comments: