Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Review: Sunya Publishing

Math and Science {Sunya Publishing Review}

Both of my sons are just starting to learn multiplication and division. To help them learn their multiplication and division facts, we've been playing Sunya -- the Magic and Wonder of Math and Science Multiplying & Dividing from Sunya Publishing.

I personally think games are the perfect way to practice skills. Kids like them and don't really realize they are learning. But let's be honest. We have a lot of games in our game closet that simply frustrate the parents. I have decided that I am not playing Chutes & Ladders ever again. I've simply decided that if I don't enjoy something, I'm not going to play it. The kids can play it themselves, without me, but we have many awesome games, and I'm going to focus on those.

This game is one I would gladly play with my kiddos many times.
We played this game with our WWOOFer Jordan. Here are some pictures of Sidge and Jordan playing. (Isaac was there too but can't be seen in these pictures.)


There are actually 4 variations of this Sunya Publishing game in the instruction booklet. However, since we are very new to multiplication and division, we only tried the first one and worked to learn the rules of this initial game.

The game includes an instruction booklet, sixty custom multiplying and dividing playing cards, a dividing number line tool, and thirty riddle cards. 

Each player is dealt 4 cards. The dealer then puts up a number sentence framework in the middle of the table (as shown in the picture above.) An example of one of these sentences would be:

4 x 5 = 20

In short, the objective is to make simple number sentences using this framework. You can see in the picture above how this works. If I was to have a "2" and a "1" card in my hand, I could but the "2" on top of the "4" and the "1" on top of the "2" and change the framework to read:

2 x 5 = 10

If a player doesn't have cards to play, he can draw to get more.

I found this game to be a very good way to learn math. However, my biggest complaint was the directions. It was many pages of complicated directions. I honestly felt overwhelmed while trying to read them and stressed out by how difficult the directions made things sound. I let our WWOOFer Jordan take a stab at them, and he agreed that they were daunting. (Although English is also his second language so that may have contributed to his feelings.)

But when I just took the core of the directions and we played the game, we really liked it. It was fun and my boys have asked to play it repeatedly.

Math and Science {Sunya Publishing Review}This game is still in its early development and there may be changes to it before it is available to the public. My personal suggestion is that the directions are simplified greatly into just a small handout explaining how to play. It doesn't need to be fancy or in color at all. They could also have a website link that goes online to give further examples if people needed it.

Overall: we liked the game from Sunya Publishing, and I think it is a good way to practice math!
Math and Science {Sunya Publishing Review}

Crew Disclaimer

No comments: