Sunday, August 31, 2014

Free apples and bananas

Yesterday I went into a grocery store that I will leave unnamed
to protect the parties involved.

I only had to get a few things: some dog food, a birthday present for Hannah, and some fruit.

When I got to the cash register, the attendant scanned all my items until she got to my bananas and apples -- two things that need to be weighed.

Without missing a beat, she just skipped weighing the items, put them in a bag, and handed me the bag.

I obviously looked confused because she said, "I've been telling them for two weeks that my scale is broken and they won't fix it. They want me to go to another register and weigh the items. I'm not doing that."

I now had the bag in my hand, and I turned around, wondering if she meant she wanted me to weigh them at the next register. She quickly brushed that thought off. "Just put them in your cart," she said. "I'm not weighing stuff until they get me a new scale."

I was dumbfounded. I had no idea what to do. Is it my fault if the person who works at a store gives you something for free? And how could I correct this without getting her in trouble?

In the end, I still wasn't positive that she hadn't made me pay for them until I got into the car and checked my receipt.

Nope. Not on there.

(Is it bad that I kicked myself for buying the prepackaged grapes instead of the ones that have you pay by weight?)

Just when you think life is playing the same way every day, something new happens worth writing a blog post about.

No comments: