Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Diaper jading

I must admit something.

I've become slightly ... jaded ... by military life.

There are many good things about living with the military. But the red tape. The many avenues required to cross to accomplish a small thing can be quite frustrating.

One example: six months after moving here and we STILL do not have a permanent car pass or a permanent Base pass for me. We have to go get our car pass renewed ever 30 days. I must get mine renewed every few months? Why? I have no clue. I'm supposed to have one. Our car is supposed to have one. But we are still waiting.

So when the suggestion was made to me to approach the management at the Commissary about the fact that they carry no "heavy duty" diapers (overnight diapers) for big kids (size 6), I put it off. I just figured it would be a big waste of my time. I figured they'd tell me to go see so-and-so who would want me to see so-and-so and fill out some form that accomplished nothing before I went on some list somewhere.

Jaded. I think that's the word.

But last week, while shopping solo while the kids were in co-op, I decided to give it a whirl. I approached a Turkish man and asked him if he could help. He said he could! He gave me a form and told me they'd call me back within the week. I wrote down my request and my phone number and that afternoon, someone called me!

They had called Germany where they get all their supplies. Germany only had size 5's but they were now going to explore a few other vendors. And I would get another call in the next week. I haven't gotten my second call yet, but I am still so pumped! Even if this results in an answer stating that they cannot obtain size 6 diapers for me, I am still happy that someone listened. Someone tried. Themselves. They didn't make me go to six places and get 7 signatures (only the original of which is valid.)

I was encouraged this week that sometimes things aren't completely hard and impossible and frustrating! Yippee!

No comments: