Monday, October 12, 2009

Daddy and "Bubby"

I think Isaac misses Daddy. Every time he passes the phone in my parents' home he says "Daddy". During dinner the other night, he was off playing and came up to the table with the phone perched on his ear. He was saying "Daddy" over and over again.

He also seems to miss "Bubby" (aka Scrubs) a lot. He saw a picture of Scrubs on my Mom's bookshelf and went into a "Bubby" chant. A stuffed animal that looks like Scrubs evokes a bunch of hugs and "Bubby" comments. That kid loves dogs. My parents' neighbor has a sweet lab named Mason. Isaac wants to go over there any chance he gets. He walks up to Mason with his face up, hoping for a lick. We went for a walk in the neighborhood last night, and he went by every house saying, "Bubby", hoping to see a dog. A few came to greet us in the window. One lady walking by told us that her dog was too hyper for Isaac. Ha! If she only knew what he was used to . . .

We do miss Bubby and JB a lot, but I know we made the right decision in coming here. It is so great to be with loved ones and to have extra hands -- even though not being in your own house offers its own challenges. John is working a ton. Since today is a holiday, instead of just doing a night he "gets to" do a 24-hour call. That means he'll go in at 7am this morning and work until 7am Tuesday morning, sleep eight hours, and go back in on Tuesday night. He is really in a fog, as he usually is on nights. And while he misses all of us, he says that us being there would just pull him in another direction.

We are having a great time. Yesterday Keith and AD came over for the day. We just hung out around the house. Saturday evening we went over to the Kits for dinner. While Dad and Ray couldn't get away from work, we had a great time, and it even cooled off enough for the kids to play outside in the front yard. Isaac had a fantastic time pushing trucks around. Grama K. did such a fantastic job making the house and yard so inviting for him. We also went to church on Sunday morning. The boys got to meet some of my parents' friends and had a great time playing in the nursery.

Today Joan is going to come and keep me company. I think we are going to try and make a stop at my Mom's work to see everyone as well and just lay low. It's wonderful to have company during the day while my parents are at work.

My Mom and I also made the decision to change our departure plans a bit. We are going to leave on Friday afternoon and get a hotel in Jacksonville. We'll spend the night, and the next day my Mom will leave for the airport and I'll leave for home. We hope this will break up the drive for the boys a little and help me to a bit more fresh. We think it will be better than our original all-day-Saturday drive plans.

I have tons of my own pics to share, but I think they'll have to wait until I get to Joan's house on Wednesday or my own home over the weekend as I can't get them to load from my parents' house.

We are having a fantastic time -- despite not having our Daddy and Doggy with us.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Coack K-

I just noticed something tonight I thought you'd like to know. When I go to bring up a new tab it lists my most visited sites.
1. Facebook
2. My school's homepage
3. Life in the Polar North Defrosts
4. Youtube
I hope you feel more happy at knowing this rather than "creeped out" :)