Tuesday, October 27, 2009

TV UPDATED

So, today marks one week that we have been without TV.

I want to make sure I clarify. We didn't just get rid of cable. On Base, no cable equals no TV at all. Nada. Not a single channel. Not even one.

We went without TV our first year of marriage in Kentucky because we were broke. We still got two channels.

Not this time. It's an all-out fast.

I like TV. I really do. I like to have it on when JB isn't home at night. I enjoy a few shows here and there. I thought the loss would be painful.

But here is the truth.

It isn't.

I really don't miss it. In fact, it's kinda nice not having it. I would say that since we got the boys, I had the TV on approximately two hours during the day. JB and I would often turn it on the evening while we chatted or read. Not all day or anything. And usually when the boys were asleep as we don't like them to watch TV if possible.

But now, instead of sitting down in the living room while I am feeding Elijah a bottle and flipping channels, I talk to him. Instead of putting it on in the background while the boys are playing, I pull out something to read on the sofa. Right now I have worship music on in the background instead of some home improvement show. It's really great.

There are things I miss and will miss. Don't get me wrong. Thanksgiving is coming up. We won't have TV. Oh my. (Don't tell the Kit. family. They are coming up for Thanksgiving and may revolt if they know that. The only redeeming fact is that we are "borrowing" a friends' house across the street while the fam is here for extra sleepage space. They have cable. So those that need football -- like me -- can get it if we need it.) Then there is the Olympics coming up. I don't even want to talk about that. Tennis. I'll miss tennis. I'll miss Caesar Milan. JB will miss Iron Chef. But we are saving nearly seventy dollars a month. It's really worth it.

We have upped our Netflix a bit so that we can always have a movie or show here if we want to put something on. I'm going to get the Little House on the Prarie series. But otherwise, the TV is off. Today, Isaac picked up the remote and held it up to the TV saying, "On. On. On." I tried to explain that there was nothing to turn on.

And we are still alive! Woah!

5 comments:

Joia said...

Welcome to the (not really so bad at all) world of no TV! =) You seem to be doing great, congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm coming to play with the little guys and will be perfectly happy with a pile of books and them on the couch! Do I get to claim a comfy spot in advance:)? Don't worry about the rest of them-they can play football if they can't watch it!
love ya!
mom k

miss fluffy said...

this isn't really the point, but if you find that you are really missing something, there are some free sites online where you can watch lots of tv shows. hulu.com is one... so good for you for saving money, and good for you for turning the tube off. if you really want to see something, there are ways to do it. we should all probably take a lesson... =)

Anonymous said...

Ditto about Hulu. My husband and I keep trying to watch "The Office" on the web, hoping that each episode might be good. So far, nope. That is pretty much all we would use TV for at this point, and we also do not miss it.

Aimee said...

and if Hulu doesn't have it, casttv.com probably does. I found this site by accident and it has almost everything I love to watch within hours of it airing on regular ole TV. So, I do still miss some of my cable shows, but I am surviving without my DVR and cable, something I was sure I could not do.