Sunday, October 18, 2009

Big changes

Well, I know it isn't as drastic as a trip to Fort Lauderdale from the Polar North (click link for our 2005 adventure which brought us from 2 degrees to 80 degrees in just a few hours), but we still faced some big weather changes during our ten hour drive from South Florida to Eglin AFB. Here we were just a few days ago chillin' in Joanie's pool with Bri:


And here we are today, preparing to go for a family run:

I feel bad that Isaac had to wear one of those ear-covering hats, but it was the only one he wouldn't pull off since it strapped under his neck. (He did figure out how to pull it down over his eyes and then wasn't able to pull it back up. We had to stop our run two times to allow him to see again!)

I also feel bad that Elijah's hat is so tight, but you know, he has a big head. What can I say. (Not sure I blogged about the fact that he got that big head stuck between a coffee table and a chair at my parents' house. It's true. When I told JB he said, "Well, he's got a big head." Yep. Sure does.)

I also feel bad that I couldn't manage a picture without one of my boys having their fingers in their mouths. Both of them are teething (Isaac in the back and Elijah in the front) so fingers in the mouth is an every-minute-activity in our house.

Anyways, we are home. Fort Lauderdale had record setting heat for October the entire time I was there. Nineties in October! Woah! As we drove north, my Mom and I could feel it getting cooler. I didn't have warm clothes for the boys so I had to leave Isaac in his pajamas when we left Jacksonville. Nippy!

It was in the 40's for much of today. I think it was in the 50's when we went for a run in the late afternoon, and there was enough wind that we all needed something to keep our ears warm -- especially JB and me. There is nothing worse than running in cold weather and feeling like your ears are going to fall off. I know all the Minnesotans reading this are laughing right now. The 50's is summertime for them! But it's all what you are used to -- and I am no longer a South Floridian or a Polar North gal. I guess I'm a southerner again now. So there you go.

It's been busy since we have been back. Lots of unpacking and trying to get back in the groove here at home. JB gave Scrubby a bath since he was filthy from two weeks of dog camp. (They'll give him a bath when he leaves but it costs ten bucks. So we opt to do it here instead.) I have also been working to get all the boys clothes into one closet since they are wearing the same size now. Baths. Fingernails trimmed. Laundry. Oohing and aaahing over all the old toys that are brand new again. You know. That kind of thing.

Oh. And I must tell you all. My husband. JB. Whatta guy. I came home after my two days of travel with two babies, and he had set up the bathroom so I could take a bath with music and candles and everything. I think I stayed in the bath for over an hour while he played with the boys. It was glorious. I soooo needed some decompression time -- especially considering that the last hour was spent with two little men crying very hard. He also had already started prepping for an Indian dinner. Even splurged on Naan. Indian. Love it. My favorite! Love that guy.

He had also cleaned the house. It was sparkling. He told me that he had actually done it right after I left and that without me and two boys and a dog there and with him on nights and sleeping all day, it had stayed that way the entire two weeks.

And then . . . well, I'll get to that.

Did you know that we are real people with real lives and a real house? I do pride myself on being organized and (attempting to) keep a tidy home. But after some initial arguments early in our marriage, I came to understand that having a welcoming home was much more important than having a perfect home. Living on Base has really helped me solidify that. People drop in unexpectedly here, and you know what, when they do, they have to get me how they get me. Messy house and all.

I say all this to preface the video you are about to see and to tell you that poor JB's clean house, lasted all of about twenty minutes after our arrival.

You'll see a lot of things in the video. You'll see Elijah chattering away. You'll see Isaac talking about his "Pa" and "Di" and "Uncle Keith" (That's my family. We are still working on recognizing all the people in JB's family. There are a lot of them!) You also see him dance and give some kisses, and tell us all, once again, that the camera lens looks like a "ball."

But you will also see my house as it truly looked post-arrival. (And trust me when I say this isn't half as bad as it is some times.) I hope this encourages you all that the real world lives on in our home! When you think you are the only one who comes home from a trip and immediately finds clutter and chaos everywhere . . . you aren't. And it's not just trips that cause messes. Sometimes it's just everyday life. (We have also found that it is getting worse now that there are two kiddos to play with twice as many toys.)

Anyways, enough talk. This is a long video, but here it is nonetheless:

3 comments:

Joia said...

Yay for JB taking such good care of you all! Sooo glad to have you home! =)

David and Lesley said...

40 degrees! Sounds like the polar south! We had beautiful 60 degree weather today. I think you should move back to MN if you're missing the warm weather. *wink*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making the rest of us whose houses look like a tornado ran through them feel better. Nothing is worse than all the luggage, mail, and dirty laundry to sort through upon arriving home from vacay!


Jenny Wilson