Thursday, August 27, 2009

Contest Smontest

The other day I was reading one of my favorite magazines: Real Simple. I was doing my preliminary "flip through" and saw that they were having another essay contest. This one instructed you to write about the moment that you finally knew you were a grown-up.

I thought for awhile and decided that I would enter this contest. I've never entered a contest before because I was alway so busy teaching other people to write or writing for my job to want to do extra writing. But not anymore. I'm still doing a bit of writing here and there and some editing for the RLS Foundation, but otherwise, I'm not writing much.

So for the past week, I have been working on my 1500 word essay. I decided to write about our adoption of Isaac, getting to meet him for the first time, you know all that fun stuff. I worked on it in ten minute bursts when Isaac was eating in his high chair, during naps, etc. I was nearly done when . . .

. . . yesterday, I was reading through the same magazine again. This time page by page. I read a delightful essay on adoption. I turned the page and realized that this essay on adoption was the example for writing on essay on how you know you're grown up! Are you kidding? I was really bummed and pouted about it for at least an hour. What were the chances that my idea was the example idea?

I lamented to JB when he got home. He encouraged me by telling me I could at least I could know I had been on the right track. I guess.

So obviously I can't enter my adoption essay into contest when my essay is practically a mimic of the original. It won't stand a chance. No originality at all.

Did I tell you that this really bummed me out?!

The good news is that I did enjoy writing this essay, and I've decided that if I see some other writing contests, I'll enter. That's where you all come in. If you hear of a contest that you think I'd be good for, let me know. Just leave a comment on a blog.

But until then, bummed. Really bummed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendi - how about Readers Digest (go to Readersdigest.com) or Guildeposts? They both pay for original material...worth a shot! You've got a very inspiration story & you write exceptionally well - go for it! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I know this might be difficult, but what about writing about your infertility journey? I would think that type of journey is definitely something that makes you a grown up.

Anonymous said...

Bummer! in deed!

I get Real Simple too. Did you know there's a Real Simple Family. I think I like it better than the original.

Bethany

Anonymous said...

What is the deadline for the "Grown Up" contest? I think i need to enter :)so i can figure out when I grew up

seriously what a bummer!

Sweetlove said...

You may want to try Skirt magazine. They used to have personal essays on various topics each month and your grown up revelation may fit into one of their themes nicely.

Tara said...

Bummer...but post the essay here!

Anonymous said...

You should write not only about adopting Isaac but having your own biological baby within the same year. That is what would make your adoption story unique.

Or,
I agree with Alison too - writing about infertility would be an interesting topic. That is definitely a grown-up issue.

Anonymous said...

How about writing about when you and JB moved to Minnesota-the reality that you were going to be in the frozen north for four years because that's where you husband's job was? And that it would be okay... That seemed to be a pivotal moment:)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

WOW!!! Such great ideas .... thinking, I'm thinking ... thanks everyone!