Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Survival

It is 5:02 pm. I have successfully survived a really, really cold day. I attempted, as best I could, to avoid being outside for more than the walk from our condo to the underground subway entrance (about a 2 minute walk.) This walk, however, was still nearly unbearable despite the fact that I had on:

1. Boots
2. Socks
3. Leggings
4. Undershirt
5. Turtlekneck
6. Pants
7. Coat
8. Scarf
9. Gloves

Pretty pifiul, huh?

Actually, as I sit here now I can hear the "winter music" (someone in the back parking lot scraping their windshields.) Thank the Lord for underground parking!

JB managed to drive me to RLSF after lunch, and my co-worker took me to appointment at the Travel Clinic so I was outside very little. However, that little was quite enough for me.

Oh and yes, I went to the Travel Clinic today. There was some confusion as to why I was there as I wasn't supposed to come in until after my January transfer, which no longer exists. Then there was some confusion as to whether or not there was even a remote possibility that I might be pregnant. Hearing that a patient doesn't ovulate means that there is no "marker" that screams NOT PREGNANT.

They wanted to make sure before giving me the yellow fever shot that I couldn't be pregnant. I informed them that, painful as it was, I had taken a pregnancy test the night before. I really, really, really hate taking negative pregnancy tests, but I am glad JB made me scuffle in and out of WalMart last night after our dinner in Austin with Christo and Melissa (they took us to a great Thai restaurant to celebrate JB's appointment at Eglin).

Anyways ... back to the topic at hand. I don't know if they would have given me the shot today without telling them I took a negative pregnancy test the night before. Then they told me that I had to make sure to use TWO forms of birth control for at least a month. I almost laughed out loud but refrained. Even the nurse rolled her eyes when she said it. You've GOT to be kidding. Anyways, I left with five shots. I'd tell you what they were for but I, honestly, can't remember. I will also have to take oral typhoid medication beginning next month and start my Malaria medications three days before we go.

Speaking of the trip, I must share another wonderful bit of news. KELSEY IS GOING TO NIGERIA WITH US! I am so thrilled about this. I have been talking to her about the trip, and she just decided that she wanted to go. This means most likely turning down a very good offer in Washington DC before she starts law school in the fall but hey, how often can you go to Nigeria? So it will be JB, Tara, Ajit, Kelsey, and myself. We will be spending 4 weeks in Nigeria and 2 weeks vacationing in South Africa. What a great time. I am so blessed I can go!

Many of you have asked me what our schedule is over the next few months. I thought I would provide it here, as best we know it, currently.

March 25 Leave for Nigeria
April 21 Leave Nigeria for South Africa
May 4 Return to Minnesota
May 19 JB graduates
May 25 Move to Eglin
May 29 Fly back to Minnesota
May 31 Transfer #4
June 1 Fly back to Eglin
June 4 JB starts residency

This is as good as we know it currently. I will, of course, keep you posted. The blog will probably be running slowly while I am in Nigeria. There are Internet cafe's but not sure how often I can post. If anyone would like to guest post while I am gone, please let me know. I'd love to have some entertainment for readers while I am gone.

5 comments:

TAV said...

Did you go to the Bamboo Hut? They recommended it while I was on my OB rotation in Austin, and it was indeed great!
As for the cold: Brr. I, too, wore tights all day as well as many other layers and said to myself, "I'm totally moving to California."! :)
I'm SUPER EXCITED Kelsey is coming to Nigeria!!

Anonymous said...

I would love to be guest post! I might tell your readers about my painful experience with English language! urrrrg!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Yes Tara, Bamboo Hut. Very good.

Bara, you are on the list!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wendi:

I finally put a coat on yesterday. My first time this winter of really needing a coat. I am still without a hat, but I did put mittens on yesterday. No mittens or hat today, but the coat was put on again. Even when I was up north all weekend I still didn't use my coat.

I think that winter is finally hear and I will have to start using my coat and gloves on a regular basis. Yuck!

I have one question for you and Tara...Do you need a straw? :)

Anonymous said...

Ebby:

HAHAHA! Only you, the mother of English, can say that and get away with it!