Sunday, January 14, 2007

Redoing the TB test

Am I not a grown woman?

Last Monday my boss tells me that I have to get my yearly TB test done that week or Mayo is threatening to suspend me without pay! Are you kidding me? What kind of warning is that?

I ask to see the letter. He shows it to me. I call up the Employee Service people pretty ticked off (but of course, not letting them know it.) I tell them that I got this notice that I am going to be suspended without pay but that this is the first time they have told me about this.

They said that they don't tell the employee. They tell their SUPERVISOR. They said that they sent my boss three notices over the last three months and that this is the last notice before suspension. Are you kidding me? No offense to Mayo Clinic, but I think this is rather dumb. Do they now know how busy our bosses are? Why don't they just tell the employee to go get a TB test? They could send the boss the notice if the employee fails to get it done. I'm 29 years old. I can go get my own TB test!

So anyways, as I said, I am 29 years old. I can handle this.

Or ... maybe not.

Monday I go to get my TB test done. I am supposed to return 48 hours later. Only, I don't work at Mayo on Wednesday, and I forget. I go in on Thursday and am told I am a measly TWO HOURS to late to get to my TB test read. TWO HOURS?! Are you kidding me?!

I ask them if they can readminister the test. They cannot. I must instead call Employee Services and have them reissue an order for me to have another test administered.

Only it's 5:00 now. I have to wait until Friday to call Employee Services. All the while I am running out of time before they suspend me without pay!

Friday morning I call Employee Services. I tell them that I was two hours late to get my TB test read. The woman on the other end says that this is ridiculous. She says the lab should have just read my test anyways. What's two hours? She reorders a test.

I then go to tell my boss that I am returning to the lab to get my TB test done again. He asks why. I explain to him that I was two hours late. He says this is ridiculous and that they could have read my test. I agree but what else am I going to do at this point? I don't have TB, but they need me to prove it.

I go in and get the shot again.

So, I write all that to say that today, I successfully had my TB test read. I am done for at least a year.
And even though I am a grown up, maybe I do need some help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendi...
Mayo must be in conspiracy with the U of M! I got an e-mail the week before I was supposed to start this sememster at school saying "Your TB test is not up-to-date and if you fail to get it updated, your financial aid for 2nd semester will be withheld. Needless to say, I went in to get that test RIGHT AWAY! I barely made the deadline!

Anonymous said...

so why didn't you ask you boss about the first 3 warnings?! I can imagine how busy he/she is for a while, but for 3 notices!!

TAV said...

Obviously, your boss needs YOU to take care of this 'little stuff' :) I'm not sure he's going to know what to do without you! Those TB tests are ANNOYING.