Thursday, January 04, 2007

Work & IVF updates

With my return to Rochester, I have returned to the world of jobs and IVF, and as a result, have updates in both areas. I know you all were waiting with baited breath. Please, hold back from exhibiting too much excitement.

Work
I have spoken with both of my jobs about my move to Florida. RLSF told me months ago that they would like me to work from home when we move to Florida, and that is still a go. The idea is that I would work approximately 20-30 hours for the Foundation from our home in Florida. I will take my work computer with me and will get a good printer/pdf scanner/fax machine. In addition, they will possibly help cover some of the internet/phone costs I would incur. This is such a blessing. For years my goal has been to write completely from home and with the news that RLSF would allow me to work from Florida, this is actually a reality. I will probably make 1-2 trips a year for face-to-face time which should correspond nicely with possible IVF treatments.

In addition, my boss at Mayo is interested in exploring work-from-home ideas. I would probably do 10-20 hours for him. The idea is that he would possibly split my job in half. He would have someone in office doig the "office" stuff, and he would have me, out-of-office, doing manuscript preparation, grant work, PowerPoint etc. This is not for-sure. Mayo is a big place and things have to go through a lot of channels that they don't have to travel through at RLSF. However, we are exploring the possibility.

Where this gets a little interesting is that IF I can do 20 hours of work for Mayo, I could keep my insurance!!! Geeezie peezie. Now I am not sure my boss can swing me working 20 hours, but it's a possibility. It's really up to my boss, and I am really okay however this all works out, but the ability to still pay 50% for infertility insurance was something we never even considered.

So, most likey I will probably work some combination of 30-40 hours per week starting June 1st. Not exactly sure how this will work out, but needless to say, I am extremely blessed that I will be moving with job/s in tow.

In addition, both jobs have approved my 6 week "leave" for our trip to Africa. I am very excited about this as well.

IVF
We are currently planning a May 31st transfer. This is a little tight and "jammed" in there. It will, in fact, require me to, somehow, start taking shots that need to be refrigerated, while in Africa. We are figuring that between carrying the refrigerated meds with us, purchasing them in Africa (we will probably be in a first-world area by this time), and having someone ship up the meds, we can work this out. However, it is the only way to "jam" a transfer in before we leave for Florida sometime around the 1st of June.

Before any of you start worrying, let me tell you that I am staying calm about this. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out, and I am not going to stress. We will do another transfer when the time is right. I'm leaving it up to God and JB to work out the details.

One additional sidenote is that one of the medications I need to take is that Progesterone that caused me to turn into a drunken, cussing, crazy woman in the middle of the night this last cycle. Unfortunately, the back-up for this medication is a refrigerated version which would be difficult to travel with. We are therefore going to do a practice run with the current medication taken in a different format (not oral -- I'll just leave it at that) sometime in February. If this works well (meaning I don't turn into a raving lunatic), we will take that medication with us to Africa. If it doesn't work out, the nurse told me we will "explore other options." I am hoping not to have to explore.

I also wanted to let you all know how I am doing emotionally. The short answer: MUCH MUCH better. The first week in Florida was tough. I was still crying daily and having difficulty communicating successfully with my family. Well-meant comments were sending me into a spin. However, about one week in, my emotions began to die down and I began to feel the old-Wendi reemerging. This was a great feeling. I am going to return for a follow-up appointment next week with my psychiatrist, however, I can even tell you that I am in much better shape than I was before the holidays. John can also tell you the same thing!

Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. The bottom-line is, and any infertility-treatment woman can tell you this. When you take a break and are not plagued by daily counting/planning/thinking, you are able to relax more and not be so focused on the fact that you don't have a child.

My husband has also made me feel really good about everything I go through each cycle. He is currently under-the-weather, and he looked at me today and said "You are a trooper." He explained that after four days of being so sick, he is really tired of it, just wants to feel better, is frustrated etc. He said it gave him a new appreciation to my bouts with insomnia, migraines, GI upset etc. each cycle and not knowing when the symptoms will get better. He also said the same thing when he had to get his shots for Africa last month. He said he recognized and remembered that getting shots is not fun. He just had to do them one time, and he couldn't help but be a little anxious. Getting them everyday means anxiousness everyday -- especially the ones in my back. I really appreciated JB noticing these things. He is such a tough guy and having him acknowledge that I am pretty tough really made me feel good.

And I do feel good! I feel a lot better, and we know that taking a six month break, while difficult, was the right thing. I am sure of it.

1 comment:

AW said...

Wendi,

I am SO glad your break is accomplishing exactly what it's supposed to accomplish. It's so nice to see that in your words. And honestly, it's pretty evident in your tone. I'm glad.

And it's so awesome that we both have such amazing husbands that stick with our stressing, worrying, medication side effects and hormonal breakdowns. Neil is my rock on so many days and I just can't imagine anyone else I'd rather have by my side. They just don't make them like this anymore! ;-)

Andi