Sunday, September 17, 2006

Photos from Decorah


We sure are glad that we took our chances and went to Decorah anyway on Saturday. While it was raining when we left and rained periodically while we were in transit, that was the end of the rain. I wore shorts and a long shirt and was very comfortable the entire day.

We first stopped at a place called SEED SAVERS farm. This is a farm co-op, where they are attempting to not let species of plants or trees go extinct by keeping them going and sharing seeds with others. In one section of the store you could buy nearly thirty different species of tomato. They had hundreds of species of apples in their orchard (and you are welcome to eat any you find on the ground.)

From there we headed into Decorah and had lunch at a pizza place. We then strolled through the town and got the boys jelly beans at a local store. It was a fabulous day. Here are some photos so you can feel like you were right there with us. The leaves have started changing and the weather is crisp. Fall is in the air!





Did you know that this is how brussel sprouts grow?

Did you know that this is how broccoli grows?

Also, please don't neglect the bank post that follows this if you haven't read it. It is in need of your comments!

4 comments:

Amy T. S. said...

For some reason when I read this, in my head I heard the word tomato as to-mah-to. I never say that or think that. Isn't that wacko?

BTW, I applied to Luther College in Decorah. It was reallly pretty there, but too cold. I went to California instead!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Amy, yes we passed Luther. It is gorgeous but, yes it is freezing here. Polar North!!!!

Anonymous said...

Both Byron and I went to Luther. It was going sounth for us! I actually remember thinking that first winter that it wasn't nearly as cold as the Twin Cities! Next time you go you should hike out to Melanaphie Springs--beautiful! Did you go to Mabe's? We loved that place--the alumni association actually brings Mabe's all over the country for their functions! Glad you had fun--

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I didn't know you went to Luther. What a great town!!! yes we went to Mabe's. We'll have to keep your hiking idea in mind. What a great little town. I love that one artist in the art gallery on the square. I want to be all his stuff.