Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Juked

Okay, question for you all.

Did you know that "juke" was a word?

I'm not talking about "juke" as in "juke" box. I am talking about the word "juke" as in: "to make a move intended to deceive (an opponent)." or "a fake or feint, usually intended to deceive a defensive player."

Question: how does a Division I basketball player go her whole life up to this point and not know that JUKE was a word -- a word that means "to make a move intended to deceive an opponent"?

Last night, my dear friend Lesley took me out for a pedicure. It was a welcome break. Except for the conversation I had to have with the nail-lady about "do you have kids?" and when I answered no the question then, "do you have any plans for children?", it was one of the most relaxing evenings I have had in a long time. We followed up our pedicures with Nick & Willie's pizzas at Lesley's house and a game of scrabble. (And, no, we did not play "Best Friends" scrabble like Dave plays with Lesley. Sorry.)

Okay, my point.

Lesley used the word "juke" while playing Scrabble, and couldn't believe that I had never heard of "juking" out the defense. What? What was she talking about? We had just about agreed that this was a "California-thing" before Lesley looked it up on Dictionary.com and proved to me that I had played basketball for ten years with only the word "fake" in my repertoire. What had I missed out on?

Okay be honest fellow athletic-readers. Did you know that "juke" was a word?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know. But is that all that surprising? :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Wendi, I have heard of juke before...But, I do watch a lot of basketball!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you played basketball your whole life and have never heard that word! Especially since you got juked all the time!
Justin

Anonymous said...

Yes, you juke to the left or right

Anonymous said...

Nope, 4 years of south Floridian soccer (as a defender, mind you) and have never heard of this so-called term. =) We don't believe in fancy jargon....we just get right to the point and say "fake out."

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Exactly, faking out. I agree!!!!

Hey who is the south Floridian soccer player.

David and Lesley said...

Hey, I found an ESPN article where they actually used "juked" in the title. :)

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2004/0805/1852825.html

Anonymous said...

Josh says...

YES...I have been hearing (and using) the word juked for most of my life! I got mad skills!!!

Sheila said...

Nope, hadn't heard that one before but I didn't play basketball or soccer. Sorry Wendi! Not much help on that one!

Anonymous said...

I thought juke was an adjective desribing a box in restaurants that play oldies music -now what does juke mean in that context -Juke Box!?! :)
love Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

Its okay, Wendi, it happens to the best of us...

BTW, did you play on your NEW scrabble board with indentations??!!

Anonymous said...

A little late but dad said he'd heard it and gave me the definiton. He should have taught you that when he coached you!!