Thursday, November 19, 2020

Looking Back

 

I've been feeling nostalgic lately. Maybe it's being 43. Maybe it's COVID and being cooped up and missing family. Maybe it's watching my kids grow up seemingly RIGHT before my eyes. 

I am doing some scanning of photos as I attempt to go through a tub in my closet I have been meaning to go through for quite some time. This one was taken on November 8, 2008. That is what the ink on the back of the photo says anyhow. However, judging by the size of Isaac, he is very tiny here making this a picture probably from July of 2008. 

I remember this visit from my Dad. I remember that he was trying to make me eat something, and I could NOT eat. Now, of course, I know that I could not eat because I was pregnant with Elijah "Sidge" and experiencing morning sickness with that pregnancy. (I had no idea I was pregnant at that time.) I specifically remember my father bringing me an egg and cheese sandwich and setting it on the computer desk, and I looked at it and thought: "I cannot eat that." (I have a feeling John probably left for the day and said: "Please try and make her eat something.")

I also love this picture because my Dad really loved Scrubs. Scrubs was such a handful. I mean he was a holy terror. But he was my first "kid" and my parents let him hang out with me at their house even though he was truly worse than a child. My Dad will still send me a text now and then with a Scrubs' memory, and truthfully, I think my parents took his loss nearly as hard as I did.

I have a vivid memory of Scrubs snagging my Dad's expensive new glasses in his jowls when he was about a year old. He perched himself on one side of the dining room table. I was on the other. And just like that famous scene from Marley & Me (which incidentally was a WAY better book than it was movie), I was trying to get Scrubs to Pa-leeeese drop the glasses. (He didn't before he put a big gouge in them that ruined the glasses.)

Here's that scene if you don't know what I am talking about:

No comments: