Wednesday, December 05, 2018

We Bought a Farm: Let Nothing Go to Waste

"Often when you think you're are the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else." Fred Rogers

The list of things on my #Ican'tbelievethisismylife list continues to grow nearly every day. 

Tonight I realized that I have begun to try, without even realizing it, to never throw away any food.

This was easy when we had pigs. They got everything except pork -- which our dogs got. Without the pigs, it gets a little bit more challenging, but we still strive to limit what we throw away.

They didn't like egg shells so we started grinding those up and giving them to our chickens for some extra calcium. 

It isn't that I am some sort of recycling-crazy-person. It's just that, as I have mentioned previously, I feel like if we all focused on our little tiny piece of this Earth and took really good care of it, the whole Earth would be a really great place.

So we try to throw away as little as possible. We do burn pits of any wood products we have. We use all paper products as fire-starters for our wood stove. Our chickens get any fruits or vegetables we can't use. The dogs eat very little dog food -- having dinner with whatever we can't put to use.


And here's what's crazy ... I love this challenge. 

And so, as I think about it more, I realize ... I love this life I never dreamed of living. 

That's what is so crazy to me. I never dreamed of a farm. I always pictured myself in suburbia doing the suburban-mom-thing, sitting at basketball games and hanging out at the park on the weekend. 

But somehow, somewhere along the way, my love for my husband (and his very purposeful manipulation of my future dreams into a morphing of his own dreams) has completely flopped my hopes and dreams onto some rolling hills here in East Tennessee.

Tonight I boiled some of our chicken breasts for dinner. And then I had this big pot of water. What could I do with it? So I managed to save most of it for the dogs -- to add to their dinner. 

I love the challenge of making sure every last piece of edible material is eaten by someone. 

John carries this so far that if we lose an animal on the farm or have to put one down, we put its body in the woods so that some animal, a vulture or a coyote, can enjoy it. Why waste it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom and I strive to live that way on our 3 acre farm. It is amazing what the chickens can have and then what's left we feed our outdoor cats or dogs. We live by the same philosophy....let nothing go to waste.

Lana

Anonymous said...

You can also boil veggie scraps (onions papers, carrot peelings, celery cutoffs, raw potato) into that meat broth and make yourself broth to freeze. Homemade meat (or bone) broth is the best! I often chop up vegggies scraps and keep them in a ziplock in the freezer for when I need it. Once the bag is full, I throw it in a big pot of water and let it boil down for a few hours. Doing it in meat broth would make it even better!

Andi

Samantha Walsh said...

Myself and my husband had been trying to get pregnant for 18 months before I was referred to Native Iyabasira fertility solution. We had no definite diagnosis of what was wrong and had become very frustrated. In November 2015 I was given a thorough reproductive health work up, I found out I had low progesterone, thyroid issues and a stomach issue which was affecting my ability to get pregant. This was a very thorough process involving dietary, hormonal and physical investigations and started the recommended treatments in Feb 16 2016. I was pregnant by april 16. I had a baby boy in march 2017. I was carefully monitored and mother Iyabasira was always available for me. I can recommend native iyabasira more highly so much so we are hoping to start trying for a second baby under her guidance.
nativeiyabasira@yahoo.com contact number +441133201124