Tuesday, December 04, 2018

We Bought a Farm: Fourth Christmas at the Bauernhof


"The Christmas message is that there is hope for humanity -- hope of pardon, hope of peace with God, hope of glory -- because at the Father's will Jesus became poor, and was born in a stable so that thirty years later He might hang on a cross." Vance Havner

Hard to believe that our renovations are nearly completely behind us and that our house is our house again. Hard to believe that we were able to truly decorate for Christmas this year. Last year was so frustrating with the house half torn apart and not knowing when we would have floors again and a proper home. 

I found these pictures back in 2015 -- our first Christmas in our new home. You can see the old fireplace and also the huge tree that went into the vaulted space. That vaulted space is gone now and a library is up above!



Of course, since this is my Blog, I strive for honestly. So I'll be frank. I don't like decorating for Christmas. Clutter is my enemy, and it causes me stress and too much decorating feels like clutter to me. I go into houses that EXPLODE with Christmas decorations and all I think is: "Someone is going to have to put those away."

But my Sidge. Oh my darling, sweet, kind-hearted, HUGE-hearted almost ten-year-old has something in him that just lovesssss decorating for Christmas. The day after Thanksgiving he started begging. He was asking every day when it would be time. He started talking about this favorite ornaments, and asking where we would put things, and simply exhausting me with the Christmas-decorating questions. I was having to say to him: "Sidge. No. Not right now. Let's talk about Christmas decorations later."

If it weren't for Sidge, I suppose the house may not be decorated even yet. John has been working a ton and we had company and finding a moment to decorate felt really hard. But Sidge pushed us, and we did it. JB and Sidge and Abigail went out to find the perfect tree on our farm. It's not as beautiful as some of the trees you can buy on the side of the road, but getting it from our farm is just such a special thing for us. 

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh one more thing .... We have managed not to turn on our heat at all this year thanks to our wood stove. Getting the wood stove was a John-thing, but I tell you what, I simply love it. It nearly heats the whole house, and there is just something that feels so ... peaceful ... about having a fire going in the house.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think your tree is beautiful and I LOVE that you cut it from your own property! Isn't the woodstove awesome?! We never turned our heat on last winter at all. It even keeps the upstairs comfortable! It is the best investment we put into our home!