Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." 
Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I've been sad lately. My heart has been burdened. I have about a half dozen different people/families in my life right now dealing with very challenging circumstances. These are not minor things. These are big things. Life-changing things. Things that will change the course of their life considerably. These things are too private to share, but my heart has simply broken watching what pain is inflicted on people I love due to sin in our world. 

I stumbled upon this quote (above) and it really spoke to me. It spoke to me not only for the grief in my own life, but also in an encouragement to these wonderful people in my life battling immeasurable grief right now. Each of these individuals has an intense personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I know that through HIM, they can come out better, stronger, and closer to Christ than they ever imagined.

The Word of God is filled with scriptures offering comfort to those grieving. Here are just two that I am praying over these very special people in my life:

"For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from Him; But when He cried to Him, He heard." Psalm 22:24

"The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit."  Psalm 34:18

You may not be one of the people on my heart, but I am sure there are many of you reading this who are grieving for themselves or someone else. Cling to HIM. He is present in your time of need.




1 comment:

Bonnie Leigh R. said...

Thank you for this quote, it's lovely and speaks to me as well. I have a similar quote I keep in my notebook, that has always helped me. I'm sharing it here in case it helps others as well...

"You are in the place that was meant for you. Everything had to be arranged like this to get you here. Your life is now the appreciation of all that is good - all that is worth living for. And you embrace life and its inevitable end like hands joined in prayer. Your stillness is no longer despair but patience. Your grief is something to be admired - the pain of severance. A scar where something used to be. To love again, you must not discard what has happened to you, but take from it the strength you'll need to carry on." (from "Everything beautiful began after," by Simon Van Booy).