Monday, August 27, 2012

Family-Style VBS

The Chapel on Base had a "Family-Style" VBS (Vacation Bible School) on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evening last week. While we only made it two out of the three evenings, what a fun time we had! The Chapel provided dinner. Then we played a family game, and had a time of worship. (All three kids joined a song leader on the stage for songs with motions!)

After that, the kids went to their own classroom for a lesson while the adults received the same lesson ... grown-up style. That way we could come back together and talk about what we learned. The night ended with dessert -- ice cream one evening and popsicles another.

As our children get older, JB and I have been more and more encouraged to make Christ the center of our family. While he has always been there for JB and me, his presence sometime went unspoken. We knew He was there. No need to talk about it. But with our boys, and eventually with Abigail, we feel the need to make our home continually revolve around his presence. "Isn't that sky beautiful? God made that."

I'm also trying to maximize on the sponge-like learning of my children. They won't always be learning at the rate they are. How can we maximize on this time and teach them things that will stay with them for the rest of their life? Bible verses. Character traits.

Now is the time to grow these boys into men (and Abigail the female version of course) who will change our generation for the Lord. I have only two prayers for my children. The first is that they will love the Lord. The second is that they will be happy people who enjoy life. That's it. I don't care about their job. I don't care if they go to college. I just want them to find happiness and the Lord.

I can't control either of these two hopes. But my hope is that if I show them the Lord, happiness will follow. "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Will you serve him with me?

No comments: