Wednesday, August 22, 2012

$31,250

I haven't watched real American TV since 2010. What they show on AFN (Air Force Network) includes news and sports and some "big" shows like Dancing with the Stars and Survivor but they don't present shows that aren't on a network.

Here in Portugal, we have AFN... again. It's incredibly frustrating to try to figure out when things are on and what they are showing so I usually don't watch it at all unless I am turning it on in the morning to let the boys watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Backyardigans.

But upstairs in the his house, we have a different option. Because the landlord left a TV in the house, it gets Portuguese television. That includes almost all Portuguese channels .... with a few exceptions.

We get ESPN. We get CNN and FOX and BBC. And we get TLC.

Aaaaah TLC. The Learning Channel. How much I remember watching your wedding stories (did you know my best friend Kristy got married on the Wedding Story by the way?)  But TLC has really stretched out their "Real-Life" television shows since I last watched in 2010! And sometimes, when the kids are resting in the afternoon, I'll put on TLC. It's just nice to see Americans. To hear English. To forget that I am in another country.

But yesterday I wish I wouldn't have even turned it on! The show had something to do with Outrageous Kids' Parties and I was blown away by how out of touch with reality some people are. I know I was married 14 years ago, but I spent $5,000 on my wedding.

Or my parents did. Did I just see the numbers on the screen correctly?

This woman threw a "going into Kindergarten" birthday party for her five-year-old daughter. The grand total? $31,250! I kid you not! I mean, they could have taken a week long vacation to Egypt for that amount of money.

I have a rule for all of my kids' parties. It should take around one hour, and it should cost around $100. Maximum!

Not only was the cost of this party absolutely beyond anything I can fathom, but some of the things they were doing were completely inappropriate. The little girl and the mom had men take their shirts off to see who was the best fit for the Egyptian muscle men to carry her in to the party. There was a very sexual belly dancer at a kids' party as well.

And don't even get me started on Toddlers and Tiaras. Are you kidding me? You wonder why you end up working in the office with or telling your children they can't hang out with a child who believes the world completely revolves around them? I'll tell you why! Turn on TLC.

My chlildren are not the center of the universe. They did not hang the moon. And they shouldn't believe they did. They don't need to be getting $1,000 hair and make-up appointments. They don't need to be judged ont heir outward appearances. Sorry.

Now don't get me wrong. There are times for beauty pageants. I am not against them in their entirety. But these parents on this show throwing a fit when their child doesn't win! It's not fair? No, it's not fair. Life isn't fair. I mean little Melanie just had a thirty-two thousand dollar party. You think that's fair?!

All right. I'm done. PLEASE leave a comment and tell me I am not the only person who feels this way!

6 comments:

Dana T said...

I completely agree!!! I used to watch TLC all the time but now I just find it disgusting.

Jennifer said...

You are not alone. I completed agree with you on all of that!

Anonymous said...

98I totally agree, Wendi! And another show coming on is "Honey Boo Boo"!! Good grief! These kids are going to have a hard time adjusting to life in the real world!
Cheryl B.

animalcrackerkat said...

Talk about a reality check! Some day those kids are going to find out that there are bigger problems than if the makeup counter ran out of their shade of eye shadow. Then again, their parents never got the memo...

Sad.

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one who feels this way. I don't even watch Toddlers. Eww. Why would you spend all that money on your child for wigs, make-up, costumes, hotel rooms...etc for a piece of plastic. Granted some (I think) have scholarships for prizes.

If you think that K party was a lot of money? Then you haven't seen My Sweet 16 on MTV. We're talking a half a million dollars at least for the party and that doesn't include hair and make-up, the dress, and the parent's gift to their child (which is ALWAYS a brand new car - and their not Fords or Chevys). I only watch that show (I don't think it's on anymore) for the shock value.

Bethany

Buttercup said...

You're not, you're not, you're not. Watching Toddlers and Tiaras once was more than enough.